2004 Sienna clicking clunking reverse only (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2004 Sienna AWD with 183K that has had a clicking/clunking type sound developing when in reverse. The issue has been going on for about a year. Only recently did I notice that the number of clicks/clunks has increased. Initially only one or two clicks backing a distance of 15-20 feet, now more like 5 or 6. It does not sound like the stereotypical click, click, click which increases with increased speed that is heard with a CV joint. About a year ago I did replace both front lower control arms since the bushings were shot. I had the front left and right mounts out (and maybe the front one too can't remember) and I remember thinking wow these things still look really good for having so many miles. Also of note I have had to replace the flex pipe on the exhaust twice, might this be due to bad mounts causing excess motion? I did do the front left wheel bearing a couple years ago due to excess play on inspection. The right still feels good. I did crawl under there the other day and there is a little CV joint play but not much. I don't want to waste 200$ and time on mounts or on CV axles for the problem to persist. This is an old vehicle and I want to keep investment down to a minimum. That said this is our road trip vehicle and I will do whatever needs done. I just don't want to throw parts at it! Nearly all the CV joint noise threads have noise when going forward not reverse! What do I do?

Does the frequency change if you are in a turn? Does it change with speed or rpm?
If it were me id get a helper or put it on stands and try to duplicate while inspecting. If a cv clicks, it likely going to click in fwd or rvs.

What does your rear differential mount look like?
Thanks for the response! I did some more inspection this morning and have the following to add.

In response to your questions
- The rear differential mounts are a bit cracked and corroded but don't look totally shot??? There were two bits of loose rubber on the driver side one not sure where that came from. The sound seems like it is coming from the front while driving but who knows it could be coming from the back.
- It definitely only happens when turning left or right while in reverse, wheel to the right makes less sound (number and volume)
than wheel to the left but both make the sound
-Frequency/number does increase with speed/rpm

Upon further inspection I have found:
-No noise when driving straight in reverse, forward straight, forward left, or forward right
-Further inspection of the cv joint reveals definite play in both sides when the wheels are turned all the way left or right, much more so than when the wheels are just turned straight
-Front right sway bar bushing is torn
-Front rear motor mount (non weight bearing) did have an aftermarket part on it so maybe these are not original? I have had the vehicle since 105k...

Rear Differential Mounts
Left - photo 1
Right - photo 2
Front - photo 3

Cracked sway bar bushing - photo 4

Front Motor Mounts
Front Left - photo 5
Front Right - photo 6
Front Center - photo 7
Top - photo 8/9
Rear - photo 10

1203211105_HDR.jpg

1203211107_HDR.jpg

1203211107.jpg

1203211128_HDR.jpg

1203211103a_HDR.jpg

1203211102a.jpg

1203211104b_HDR.jpg

1203211104.jpg

1203211104_HDR.jpg

1203211130.jpg

Right now I'm thinking it's probably the cv joints although the rear differential front most bushing could also use some changing it looks like the rear diff is hanging a little low due to that worn bushing...???

Unfortunately there is no change with new cv axles. I guess I'll do the differential bushing since it is obviously bad. Maybe do the top wishbone and front center motor mount since those seem to move the most when observing the motor when shifting from p-d-r etc...

Sorry to hear that.
I still recommend getting it up on jacks or a rack for a listen. You may have to disable the vsc temporarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom