2003 lc gas tank skid plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2003 lc skid plate is completely rotted out to the point where there is 1.5-2 feet hole in it. Ive searched and searched but can not find a new one. please anybody tell me where i can order one online. Ive painted it with good paint that stops rust for now, but i do want to get a new one asap. Please any advice or solution would be great. thanks

fred anderson toyota online parts has it for like 300 bucks.

Skid Plate - Toyota (77606-60120) | fat.parts

The '03s got a bad batch of metal for skid plates. I have seen a number of them rotted out. Very strange.

Try to find a local Toyota dealer that has online parts ordering, that way they deliver to that dealer for free so there is no shipping charge.

I order from Fred Anderson all the time and pick it up.

fred anderson toyota online parts has it for like 300 bucks.

Skid Plate - Toyota (77606-60120) | fat.parts

The '03s got a bad batch of metal for skid plates. I have seen a number of them rotted out. Very strange.

Try to find a local Toyota dealer that has online parts ordering, that way they deliver to that dealer for free so there is no shipping charge.

I order from Fred Anderson all the time and pick it up.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to say thank you for this link!

I just bought a used 2003 Land Cruiser on Tuesday. The only rust was on the Fuel Tank skid plate (pretty bad), and some on the front skid plate.

I might have found a used one on ebay for about $100 (waiting to hear back from the seller). If that doesn't work out, I will order one from Fred Anderson, because it's cheaper (even after shipping is added) than going through a dealership (roughly $340 including UPS ground shipping).

When I called a local dealership parts department, they wanted $407.14 for the part, and that would include overnight shipping at no additional cost.

Last edited:
FWIW, McGeorge Toyota has been the cheapest place I've found Toyota parts - they're consistently cheaper than anywhere else, IME: Skid Plate - Toyota (77606-60120) | Toyota Parts

$268 there...

Wow, thank you sir! At this price, I can get the skid plate, plus the two straps and shipping, for about the same amount of money the local dealership wanted for just the skid plate!

Update: I've gone ahead and ordered a used one off eBay. To me, this looks the same as what I have, and after cleanup and some underbody coating should look as good as new, right?
1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER GAS FUEL TANK SKID PLATE SHIELD | eBay

Last edited:
Update: I've gone ahead and ordered a used one off eBay. To me, this looks the same as what I have, and after cleanup and some underbody coating should look as good as new, right?
The skid has the same part number in 2000 and 2003, so that's the right one.

If you are replacing the straps note the pins may have become corroded and will be very difficult to remove. I ran into this recently replacing the skid and the rearward strap. I was able to get the cotter pin out but the actual big pin holding the tank up was frozen solid in the strap. Of course I probably have the most rusty LC known to man so take that into consideration.

I ended up onbolting the rear strap which was tricky due to the bolt location and the previous mentioned rust. Bolt sits about 1.5" above frame rail meaning I could only get an open ended box wrench on the 14mm bolt. Took several heat cycles with a torch to get that bolt unfrozen. Was more difficult than the other bolts on the other side but was doable. All the other bolts have excellent access, even with drive shaft in place (some remove driveshaft but it's doable without removing anything).

One other thing to note, my actual gas tank had rust on it as well so I had to treat that with rust converter and Por15 before putting the skid back on.

Good luck, it's a fun little project!!

20180326_085600-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

Thank you! I’m looking forward to it. The straps look OK, so I’m hoping I won’t run into the issues you faced. I’m hoping the tank itself doesn’t look bad.

Next project will be to replace the front skid plate. Starting with the Fuel Tank one because that is the worst on this car.

I need to get one. Mine is crushed in from wheeling. Thanks for the links.

Mine is broken when I bought it so I need a new one too.. thank you for the details

I dented my OME fuel tank skid plate, I think at Slick Rock. I ordered an OEM replacement and had it installed. When I told my son he said "Why didn't you just drop it, bang out the dent and replace it? Why do you need a new one?" Well by the time I talked to him I had the replacement plate in hand. He was right, my rig spent its whole life near Santa Cruz, CA. Has little rust and few dents until I bought it and took it off road. The new OEM plate was about $300 plus $90 shipping. I kept the original plate, pounded out most of the dent and now it's ready for a good home. Only superficial rust, I purposely didn't paint it so you could see how it came off the truck. I should have followed my son's advice. Oh well. If anyone wants it, $75 plus shipping, probably about $90 dollars. If you're close to Bend OR you can pick it up.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

I dented my OME fuel tank skid plate, I think at Slick Rock. I ordered an OEM replacement and had it installed. When I told my son he said "Why didn't you just drop it, bang out the dent and replace it? Why do you need a new one?" Well by the time I talked to him I had the replacement plate in hand. He was right, my rig spent its whole life near Santa Cruz, CA. Has little rust and few dents until I bought it and took it off road. The new OEM plate was about $300 plus $90 shipping. I kept the original plate, pounded out most of the dent and now it's ready for a good home. Only superficial rust, I purposely didn't paint it so you could see how it came off the truck. I should have followed my son's advice. Oh well. If anyone wants it, $75 plus shipping, probably about $90 dollars. If you're close to Bend OR you can pick it up.

View attachment 2258272

View attachment 2258273
Is this still available? Thanks

If you are replacing the straps note the pins may have become corroded and will be very difficult to remove. I ran into this recently replacing the skid and the rearward strap. I was able to get the cotter pin out but the actual big pin holding the tank up was frozen solid in the strap. Of course I probably have the most rusty LC known to man so take that into consideration.

I ended up onbolting the rear strap which was tricky due to the bolt location and the previous mentioned rust. Bolt sits about 1.5" above frame rail meaning I could only get an open ended box wrench on the 14mm bolt. Took several heat cycles with a torch to get that bolt unfrozen. Was more difficult than the other bolts on the other side but was doable. All the other bolts have excellent access, even with drive shaft in place (some remove driveshaft but it's doable without removing anything).

I have a question for you about that drivers side rear strap pin location. What is this in the way of the cotter pin - the parking brake cable? Or one of the AHC lines? I can't trace down what it is and can't figure out how to get it out of the way to even get to the rusty pin 😅 It turns to route over the frame rail just in front of this position (see second pic).

Thanks for any help you can give 👍

20200730_110202.jpg

20200730_110225.jpg

20200730_103758.jpg

Dang.. it is an AHC line 🙄 I thought the it looked backwards from the diagram to be parking brake cable.

Well this sucks. At this point I think I'll just wait till I remove AHC cuz with how rusty everything is that's going to be a giant PITA to either attempt to work around it, or remove that line temporarily. I'll ask my shop how much for them to do it, but I don't think it's bad enough that it's an emergency to have to shell out for the labor, or even risk that AHC line prematurely.

One other thing to note, my actual gas tank had rust on it as well so I had to treat that with rust converter and Por15 before putting the skid back on.

View attachment 1676502
I'm sorry I know this is 3 years later but I have to say that is the most rust free lc I have seen when I was looking online recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom