GM 2002 Silverado Brake Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, figured I'd ask in here, see if anyone knows these things.

I got an 02 Silverado, 1500hd with the 6.0L V8. It's a rusted out junker I've been using for my business until I can afford to get into something better.

My brakes have started acting odd lately, and I figure I should correct it before i wreck someone. If I am driving along in normal city stop and go traffic, then use the brakes to slow down appropriately, once I've slowed sufficiently and need to creep forward while easing off on the brake pedal, it will feel like the abs kicks in and doesn't give me any stopping power. I have to lift my foot off the pedal, then re apply it to get stopping power back.

So, push brake pedal to slow, ease up on it to move slowly, sudden abs feeling but with no power to brakes. Let foot off, operates normally. If I just push the brakes and stop, no problem. Only in that rare, hard stop, ease up situation does it happen.

Fluid is good, bled brakes no help, abs works correctly on wet mud (can't try on snow and ice yet), pads and rotors are good.

This maybe a master cylinder thing? A sensor thing?

Thanks

When the ABS activates it feels like there's no power boost because it's purposely not stopping, it's pulsing the brakes extremely fast. My truck activates the ABS at almost every stop, the pedal goes further down and it feels like the truck is not going to stop. It ends up stopped further forward than I wanted. So much for Chinese hubs.....

Front wheel speed sensor is dropping out. It’s either a bad loose wheel bearing or a bad sensor. I can’t tell you how many I’ve fixed with the same symptoms.

You’ll either need to just replace both unit bearing assemblies, or get a scan tool that’s capable and watch abs data to see which wheel is dropping speed to 0 before the actual stop

Just realized this thread is almost 2 yeArs old. Probably already fixed it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom