2001 w/Nav replace factory amp? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 2001 w/ factory nav and after replacing front speakers I'm starting to think the factory JBL amp isn't working 100%. The right channel seems to have more power than left, with the bass being the most obvious difference. I've read you can bypass the factory amp, however, is this possible for Nav models where everything else would be left original (since I'm handcuffed to the factory head unit)?

Had a 45 minute conversation with Crutchfield regarding this. Basically, they recommend leaving the factory JBL amp intact and installing a (fancy) line out converter after the factor amp (specifically the AudioControl LC6i 6-Channel Factory Integration Unit). From there, run the lines into the aftermarket amp and on to the speakers. It's certainly not how you would design if starting from scratch, however, the factory Nav/head unit relies on the factory JBL amp for power and perhaps some other things.

I got the impression this would improve the sound quite a bit, but it would never be top notch. Given the well documented constraints of having to retain the factory Nav/head unit, this sounds like a decent option. The other option (for me) would be relocating the factory tape deck and adding a new aftermarket head unit. However, I haven't been able to locate any detailed instructions for how do to this.

P.S. The Crutchfield advisor also said a line out converter with DSP (like the JL Audio Fix 86) MAY improve the sound. This would add around $200 to the total cost, though. This would clean up the factory signals, but assumes the factory JBL amp is working 100%.

BTW I found the sound issues are likely due to a bad antenna connection because the sound was drastically improved after installing the Grom VLine and using a Bluetooth source. Still, the amp add-on listed above is probably a worth while investment.

you can replace the stock deck if you want. search this 68 ohm resistor mod for land cruiser
The digital processor would work well. But think about how much equipment would be inside your truck. I thought about doing that but in the end it's much cheaper to install separates and disregard the toyota wiring altogether. And create extra space in the process.

you can replace the stock deck if you want. search this 68 ohm resistor mod for land cruiser
The digital processor would work well. But think about how much equipment would be inside your truck. I thought about doing that but in the end it's much cheaper to install separates and disregard the toyota wiring altogether. And create extra space in the process.

Highly interested in this option. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom