2001 Fuel Filter system parts list? Confused as always :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LBL

Threads
:) So once again my dear Husband relegated me to order the parts for him. He’s pretty good at managing and I research.

The shop that’s going to do the repairs is happy for him to buy his own parts and they install.

I was told to buy fuel filter and strainer and the repair guy said Delphi?

Now I had already looked on Amazon for Toyota OEM and Denso also came up of course. Which I know from my last question here that Denso is a preferred replacement.

So my first stop is here naturally to research product numbers and repairs.

Toyota 23300-50090 Fuel Filter
Denso 950-0107 Fuel Pump

Do I need BOTH of these? Because I only see the Toyota Fuel Filter mentioned when repairing the Fuel System or replacing.

The Denso is mentioned as a good brand with the strainer included. Speaking of which...when you see that part on Amazon, they always show a Fuel Pump Tank Seal that you should buy along with it.

Thank you in advance!

That is the the correct fuel filter for your cruiser. You don't need to replace the fuel pump unless it has failed.

:)

I was told to buy fuel filter and strainer and the repair guy said Delphi?

Speaking of which...when you see that part on Amazon, they always show a Fuel Pump Tank Seal that you should buy along with it.

IF his objective is to 'filter' the fuel system from front to back, then the parts make sense. As previously mentioned, you do NOT need a new fuel 'pump' if yours is working correctly now.

The fuel 'filter' (proper) is located under the hood (mounted on the inner fender well on most models) and is easily replaced.

The 'strainer' (also called a 'sock') is a woven filter 'sock' of sorts that connects to the fuel pump and is designed to filter/strain larger particulates. The idea being...you don't want any trash from the fuel tank going through the fuel pump. However...to replace it, you must remove the fuel pump from the fuel tank.

Generally speaking...the fuel pump strainer is not a maintenance item unless you live someplace where you are subject to dirty fuel. Normally...if your fuel pump is working correctly...its a good indicator that the strainer is not clogged and not in need of replacement.

BUT...if you do replace it...then yes a new fuel tank seal would be a prudent thing to replace as well. They are often reusable (once) but simply by virtue of age...it might have become brittle or permanently distorted. They are not expensive.

In my experience you fill break the the plastic clip that snaps in the fuel filter bracket and holds the fuel line in place after the 90.

I will not be back to the house until next week to get the part number. It is only a couple of bucks and easy to replace.

I have broken 2 on two different LC and now have a spare.

We had the 90k tuneup done by the repair guy and all was well and then...DH decided to let a friend do something else. I can’t remember what it was because I didn’t order the parts for it. It was supposed to be something minor but after that the dreaded check engine light or whatever the error code is started coming on and the friend was clueless.

So it was back to the repair guy and he had to reset it by the scanner. While he was tracking it all down though, I guess he looked and said the Fuel Filter (and sock) was nasty and needed to be replaced.

I don’t normally drive it since the Land Cruiser is “his” and I drive the Tundra. But I’ve driven it this week while he’s out of town and it has no power when you step on the gas. Since the repair guy wants us to empty the tank before we bring it in, I felt free to use the ECT button :) and that gave it that extra oomp. I’ve always wondered about that button. He said it just used extra gas and well, I’m sure it does.

Waiting for the plastic clip # now....

We had the 90k tuneup done by the repair guy and all was well and then...DH decided to let a friend do something else. I can’t remember what it was because I didn’t order the parts for it. It was supposed to be something minor but after that the dreaded check engine light or whatever the error code is started coming on and the friend was clueless.

So it was back to the repair guy and he had to reset it by the scanner. While he was tracking it all down though, I guess he looked and said the Fuel Filter (and sock) was nasty and needed to be replaced.

I don’t normally drive it since the Land Cruiser is “his” and I drive the Tundra. But I’ve driven it this week while he’s out of town and it has no power when you step on the gas. Since the repair guy wants us to empty the tank before we bring it in, I felt free to use the ECT button :) and that gave it that extra oomp. I’ve always wondered about that button. He said it just used extra gas and well, I’m sure it does.

Waiting for the plastic clip # now....
Did you ever get that clip #? I just had my fuel filter replaced (WIX) and the original clip let go on the highway essentially wasting about 6 gallons of gas and sending me into a frenzy thinking my rig would start on fire. This was on the drive to work after picking the rig up after baseline maintenance. It clipped back in place and is holding, but I have ZERO trust it will even get me home (25 miles). I'll keep searching, but if you've got it let me know. Thanks a lot!!

Did you ever get that clip #? I just had my fuel filter replaced (WIX) and the original clip let go on the highway essentially wasting about 6 gallons of gas and sending me into a frenzy thinking my rig would start on fire. This was on the drive to work after picking the rig up after baseline maintenance. It clipped back in place and is holding, but I have ZERO trust it will even get me home (25 miles). I'll keep searching, but if you've got it let me know. Thanks a lot!!

Zip tie?

The retaining clip is part of the Fuel Line (if purchased from Toyota). But if you just need a replacement clip (or spare) then it is available separately as Volvo Part # 9485149

Fuel line clip 100 series.jpg

I thought the previous orator meant the little white clip that sits on the top bracket and holds the fuel line properly oriented for Feng Shui alignment purposes.

Since the repair guy wants us to empty the tank before we bring it in, I felt free to use the ECT button :) and that gave it that extra oomp. I’ve always wondered about that button. He said it just used extra gas and well, I’m sure it does.

I leave my "power button" on all the time by the way. I literally noted no loss of fuel economy but a hell of a gain in initial response off the line. I think lugging the weight with it off uses as much gas as getting her moving all at once. Reminds me somewhat of the old Jag XJS with the 12-cylinder engine, it had the same performance as the 6-cylinder version because the added pwoer was basically there to haul the extra weight of 6-more cylinders around.

Last edited:
I thought the previous orator meant the little white clip that sits on the top bracket and holds the fuel line properly oriented for Feng Shui alignment purposes.

In post #5 yes. In post #7 (loss of fuel) I took that to mean the green clip that holds the fuel line connection in place, had failed or come loose.

In either case:

Fuel Filter Swap.JPG

Fuel line clamp.jpg

^^^^^

I think the Chinese must have had way too much time on their hands a few thousand years ago.

But to apply this in a more modern setting: I just finished walking our Dachshund and She apparently was unable to 'harmonize' with the yard properly enough to take a POOP! Back and forth we went for about 10 minutes. Never happened.

First She picked out a quadrant of the yard (about a 1/2 acre in size) then narrowed it down to an 'area', then a 'spot', then an exact spot. So I'm thinking 'OK this is it...She's going to go now. NOPE! She started turning one way then the other, then another, back and forth. Looked like the needle on a compass.

I figured any moment she would finally get perfectly aligned with Earths Magnetic Field...but I guess the 'Feng Shui' of it all wasn't quite right! Sheeeesh...!

With the intended Bowel Movement aborted.....I just took her back to the house. :frown:

Betcha anything in the next 1/2 hour....She'll find a place on the carpet that suits her.

Last edited:
^^^^^

I think the Chinese must have had way too much time on their hands a few thousand years ago.

But to apply this in a more modern setting: I just finished walking our Dachshund and She apparently was unable to 'harmonize' with the yard properly enough to take a POOP! Back and forth we went for about 10 minutes. Never happened.

First She picked out a quadrant of the yard (about a 1/2 acre in size) then narrowed it down to an 'area', then a 'spot', then an exact spot. So I'm thinking 'OK this is it...She's going to go now. NOPE! She started turning one way then the other, then another, back and forth. Looked like the needle on a compass.

I figured any moment she would finally get perfectly aligned with Earths Magnetic North...but I guess the 'Feng Shui' of it all wasn't quite right! Sheeeesh...!

With the intended Bowel Movement aborted.....I just took back to the house. :frown:

Betcha anything in the next 1/2 hour....She'll find a place on the carpet that suits her.
thanks for a good laugh :) , having had two dogs (french bullies) in the past, I can totally understand this

Just to rule a few things out: did you ever check her against a metal detector? There may be an anomaly in the Earth's crust right there, or a hidden treasure trove stuffed with silver coins.

Is that a WIX filter with the bracket on the left? If so, where it is made please?

Last edited:
Just to rule a few things out: did you ever check her against a metal detector? There may be an anomaly in the Earth's crust right there, or a hidden treasure trove stuffed with silver coins.

Is that a WIX filter with the bracket on the left? If so, where it is made please?

New filter (on left) in borrowed picture... is a Toyota. Recommend using OEM for this part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom