$20 Hard Top Hoist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the first time I've ever taken the top off. Does anyone see any issues with using this method? 1/2" eyebolts are sunk into the ceiling beams. Straps rated at 400 lbs each and the eyebolts were rated at 150 lbs each.

I must say, having the top off is a freakin' hoot!
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Three more :
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

mine looks almost the same except a $125 electric hoist from harbor freight at the top. works great and cheap. my favorite phrase.

I had something very similar in mind. I was actually thinking of using the 2x4 under the top instead of through the window, of course I don't have vent windows, but I would be concerned about the window seal.

Two other concerns of mine were what if the ratchet gave out? My thought is to use the straps to lift, and then use a chain to hold it up. The second concern has lowering it back down. My ratchet straps don't have a clutch or brake, when I let the tension off, it is off. My thought on that is to use a pully, or a hoist.

You think the 2x4 will eventually ruin the seal?

I had the same thought, but both seals are pretty shot on those windows to begin with. If it smashes 'em, I'm not too worried.

I had something very similar in mind. I was actually thinking of using the 2x4 under the top instead of through the window, of course I don't have vent windows, but I would be concerned about the window seal.

Two other concerns of mine were what if the ratchet gave out? My thought is to use the straps to lift, and then use a chain to hold it up. The second concern has lowering it back down. My ratchet straps don't have a clutch or brake, when I let the tension off, it is off. My thought on that is to use a pully, or a hoist.

I like the chain idea. I might employ that one.

For the main ratchet there is a zip tie around the ratchet arm, if the innards explode there is another red ratchet strap that goes the full length from ceiling eye to ceiling eye.

I thought about the lowering procedure as well. I'm guessing this fall I'll need to buy some beer and just have some buddies come by. It's a one man job going up, but coming back down is another story. :beer:

It's cool, all I need to do is pull the 40 in and it fits right under the top. Also, not having the top / doors on = no rattling!

Brilliant. Should have done this last year!

In the fall

I thought about the lowering procedure as well. I'm guessing this fall I'll need to buy some beer and just have some buddies come by. It's a one man job going up, but coming back down is another story. :beer:

If you are located around Madison, WI I can give you a hand...But it might cost ya 2 x :beer:

Wouldn't it work just as well if you lengthened the rear set of straps and put the 2X4 under the hardtop sides instead of thru the windows?

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

I had the same thought, but both seals are pretty shot on those windows to begin with. If it smashes 'em, I'm not too worried.

I like the chain idea. I might employ that one.

For the main ratchet there is a zip tie around the ratchet arm, if the innards explode there is another red ratchet strap that goes the full length from ceiling eye to ceiling eye.

It's cool, all I need to do is pull the 40 in and it fits right under the top. Also, not having the top / doors on = no rattling!

Brilliant. Should have done this last year!
That's why I asked in another thread, if you had tried to lower it yet. Going up is a cinch, but as soon as you release the lock on the strap, it could get really ugly, really fast.

mine looks almost the same except a $125 electric hoist from harbor freight at the top. works great and cheap. my favorite phrase.
This is the route I'm taking! Except, I'll be using 2 heavy duty tow straps hooked to the hoist instead of ratchet straps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom