1inch wheel spacers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Nov 19, 2017
Threads
69
Messages
242
Location
Asia
It's been a while since. I have a 2018 lc200. Iv levelled the truck right to left there is practically no.lean.. everything is also almost original apart from bilstein shocks up front.. i put in 1 inch wheel spacers and now I have this quite firm steering when moving. The steering wheel is centered and the tendency to return to center is quite exaggerated. Yet the truck is sensitive to road irregularities. I have oem 18inch wheels. I thought this was a very conservative mod that it wont affect the truck that much. But its making me feel i.want to remove the spacer even though I love the new stance. Here are my alignment figures. less sensitivity to road irregularities and a more natural centered steering is desired..

Screenshot_20260926_181633_Gallery.webp
 
Yes, some of these symptoms are not unexpected as your running pretty aggressive offsets. Many aren't attuned enough to notice the additional scrub radius, but once you feel it and understand what's going on, it can be hard to unfeel.

What size wheels and tires are you running?

The alignment shows caster is quite low. You really want to be in the 3+ degree range to minimize the symptoms.
 
Scrub radius is a critical geometry and adding spacers affects this parameter. From the below picture, you can see how a spacer affects the steering axis and how that pivot now lands off center of the tire contact patch.

The affects steering feel, sensitivity to road irregularities (tramlining), handling, and reduces cornering traction as the front two tires don't point at exactly the same direction in a turn. To it's namesake, causes tires to scrub and slip, which especially impacts low traction situations like rain and snow.

The critical geometry essentially puts the steering pivot point in the center of the tire where forces are imparted. Analogy is to imagine a door and hinge. Put all the force you want right on the spine of the hinge, it does nothing. Now push/pull on the door away from the hinge. The further that force is from the hinge, the easier it is to impart a torque and movement of the door.

That's what you're feeling in the steering.

You'll see that if you install a larger overall diameter tire, that the steering axis can magically align with the center point of the tread again. That's the hack and why spacers and larger tires go hand in hand.

221215-92aebcb26cf99e034399dbd9143d5d6e.webp
 
Just for the Fear of Embarrassment - Please Make sure they are Properly Torqued!
I had Wheel come loose but Luckily I felt it Shimmy Before it Flew Off when I was a Teenager. 100% my Fault

**I also Drove away with a Gas Pump Hose - awkward to carry Hose Back across the Lot.
I've had a Hood bounce but Safety Latch caught it before Hood was Folded over Windshield
I also put a Piece of Wood inside and Cracked a Windshield.
 
Just for the Fear of Embarrassment - Please Make sure they are Properly Torqued!
I had Wheel come loose but Luckily I felt it Shimmy Before it Flew Off when I was a Teenager. 100% my Fault

**I also Drove away with a Gas Pump Hose - awkward to carry Hose Back across the Lot.
I've had a Hood bounce but Safety Latch caught it before Hood was Folded over Windshield
I also put a Piece of Wood inside and Cracked a Windshield.
I dub you “Lawsuit Man.”
 
Back
Top Bottom