1HDT HDJ81 Misfire (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would be climbing hills and the truck would have Coughs of black smoke out the exhaust with a constant stream of gray smoke covering the hill behind me.

Trying to bring some positivity to this whoredeal, but compression and turbo should have been checked first. Is there any oil in the intake?

Unfortunately, a knowledgeable shop would have had this diagnosed in 3 hrs. Compression test takes 1 hr btw. When you get the compression #'s back (good or bad) - it would be wise to find another shop if you cannot perform the work yourself.

I have learned in the past:
Injectors - only buy new OEM. Sorry, no one in NA can rebuild these properly.
Pump - one shop in NA I would trust is Okanagan Diesel Injection. Being unfamiliar with the shop in Surrey, I would be more inclined to ship a rebuild from OZ.

Last edited:
Trying to bring some positivity to this whoredeal, but you should check compression and turbo first. Is there any oil in the intake?

Unfortunately, a knowledgeable shop would have had this diagnosed in 3 hrs. Compression test takes 1 hr btw. When you get the compression #'s back (good or bad) - RUN from that shop.

I have learned in the past:
Injectors - only buy new OEM. Sorry, no one in NA can rebuild these properly.
Pump - one shop in NA I would trust is Okanagan Diesel Injection. Being unfamiliar with the shop in Surrey, I would be more inclined to ship from OZ.
Before I took the truck in, I intended to have new injectors installed, now 6 months later I have them. Compression check came in within spec. As well I did a timing belt replacement back in July 2019 and their was no oil in the induction tube. I also have installed a oil sepparator. I chose the shop in Surrey because of their reputation and knowledge of working on these items as told to me by them.

"Within spec" is +/- 70 psi between cylinders which is vague. What are your numbers? You mention smoke - but is there an issue with power? Do you have an EGT gauge installed?

Turbo - check impeller play.

Last edited:
"Within spec" is +/- 70 psi between cylinders which is vague. What are your numbers? You mention smoke - but is there an issue with power? Do you have an EGT gauge installed?
I gave them an EGT gauge to install though I do not believe they have installed it yet...

Turbo - check impeller play.
It was originally white/gray smoking because of faulty injector bodies. Now I have new injectors. I do not know the numbers of compression test as they only told me it was within spec

For example, if one cylinder is 470 and another 520, compression would be considered "within spec". However, I would be doing a leakdown test . Best to ask the shop for the actual #'s (with altitude compensation) - and if they cannot provide them - simply ask for a refund.

Who timed the pump?

Last edited:
If you feel you need info from a forum to help your mechanic diagnose and trouble shoot, you really need to reconsider your choice of mechanic.

6 months later

Seriously? They are either incompetent, or have zero regard for their customer.

Diesel engines are not that complicated. The HDT pump and injectors do have some nuances that separates then from others, but basic trouble shooting is the same.

Sounds like they are flinging mud against the wall, and seeing what sticks.

This is going to burn money, and or leave you with a truck in questionable condition.

I gave them an EGT gauge to install though I do not believe they have installed it yet...

What instructions have they been given in relation to install this?
Has there been discussion on the location of the probe?
Method of installation?

This is something that is commonly installed in a sub optimal location because mechanics don't know better, or take the lazy option. Lazy option gives you an EGT gauge that is not particularly functional.

This thread would get a lot more views and responses in the diesel tech section. Maybe PM some of the Mods to have it shifted.

There's loads of good tech in the diesel section in regard to these engines and injector pumps etc

I am told that it is no longer "mis-firing" but running lean. Brand new injectors should be just fine 100% operation. No idea what could be causing it to run lean.
A diesel runs lean all the time except at full throttle, where AFR will be according to the tune. The only regulated combustion ingredient is fuel, a diesel is throttled by fuel only and air is unrestricted. I really have doubts about your shop

What instructions have they been given in relation to install this?
Has there been discussion on the location of the probe?
Method of installation?

This is something that is commonly installed in a sub optimal location because mechanics don't know better, or take the lazy option. Lazy option gives you an EGT gauge that is not particularly functional.
I gave them instructions to install this at the center of the exhaust manifold before turbo. But I still don't know if they have installed it yet.

A diesel runs lean all the time except at full throttle, where AFR will be according to the tune. The only regulated combustion ingredient is fuel, a diesel is throttled by fuel only and air is unrestricted. I really have doubts about your shop
I know they are active on IH8MUD.com idk wth to do

I agree with the comments above. Get the real compression numbers, actual air fuel ratio and and get you EGT gauge installed. Like @mudgudgeon said, your diesel should run fine if its lean. It won't stumble or smoke. What boost are you running?

I agree with the comments above. Get the real compression numbers, actual air fuel ratio and and get you EGT gauge installed. Like @mudgudgeon said, your diesel should run fine if its lean. It won't stumble or smoke. What boost are you running?
Stock boost numbers, since i have not had the truck I have not been able to install the boost gauge.

Stock boost numbers, since i have not had the truck I have not been able to install the boost gauge.
How do you know the turbo is functioning properly? Id get boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges. They will help diagnose for now, but will help you tune later.

How do you know the turbo is functioning properly? Id get boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges. They will help diagnose for now, but will help you tune later.
I told that to Overland Cruisers but was told they did not need these to tune the vehicle. I only know the turbo functions by how it drove before I took it in for this repair. It spools up I felt boost.

I told that to Overland Cruisers but was told they did not need these to tune the vehicle. I only know the turbo functions by how it drove before I took it in for this repair. It spools up I felt boost.
Yeah, but how much boost? There are guys who had stock rigs with crazy high EGTs and rich AFRs. My rig was supposed to be tuned when I got it. It drove terribly. Upping the boost and adjusting the compensator made a night and day difference.

This thread would get a lot more views and responses in the diesel tech section. Maybe PM some of the Mods to have it shifted.

There's loads of good tech in the diesel section in regard to these engines and injector pumps etc
How do I contact the mods?

To tune these you need to make use of boost gauge, and either an EGT gauge, or an AFR gauge.
If they aren't using gauges, they are really fxcking with what they don't understand.

Yes, you can tune by the seat of the pants, but they either be leaving potential power on the table, or compromising economy for power, and putting engine and turbo at risk from high EGTs.

There's a fine line between tuning for power and running too hot.
This needs to be tested with the engine under load. The only way to test is with gauges, or dyno and gauges.

Same with timing the pump. You can take a stab at it with trial and error, but without starting from a factory baseline, they are flying blind.

Honestly, if I had a customer's rig for 6 months without an awesome result, I'd quit my job and go and pack supermarket shelves for a living or get a job licking windows.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's just embarassing.

How do I contact the mods?

Top right of the 80series menu page

Screenshot_20200305-081520~2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom