1hdt crank pulley weirdness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i went to change one of my alternator belts. my pulley that the air conditioning pump runs on has bothered me for a while because it didn't seem to run perfectly straight. the belt had a small angle in it as it ran from the compressor to the crank pulley. well tonight while taking the belt off the crank pulley fell off! wtf! is this pulley pressed on, bolted on or what?!! had my pulley broken?
IMG_4372.JPG

front pulley is the loose one. and is sitting about where it was.
IMG_4371.JPG

this is where it fell off

Common problem. The AC pulley just bolts on the front of the harmonic balancer. No drama to replace. (or just remove for the time being)

The rubber delaminates and it separates from the inner section.

thankfully i have ens industrial here in n saskatoon. they actually stock it so i can get it today!! it's not cheep that's for sure. about $500!!!

says brand new. pics look used but it's still cheaper than a used one from cruiserparts so we'll see what it looked like when it comes

It will be new. Partsouq is reputable and doesn't deal in used parts. That's likely a stock photo not your actual piece. I ordered mine from them as well as a harmonic balancer, but ordered direct from their website . They only sell new/genuine oem stuff

good to know. that's way cheaper than buying here. canada is so expensive to find parts (roll eyes)

How where you able to get to it to take it off? Do I need to take out the radiator fan so I can reach it?

Once you get the fan clutch off and out of the way, you should be able to get at the 6 bolts that hold the AC pulley to the crank pulley with hand tools.

So... this is interesting. Pulled the fan couch out and reached down and found that the pulley does not have the 6 bolts. I’m guessing the previous owner replaced it with the wrong part maybe? Not sure what to do here.

3024B224-DE82-4DBD-84EE-2DF733BFCBBA.jpeg

BC0AB079-F517-4335-A16F-B5C2F10658B1.jpeg

What year is your HDJ81? Different bolt configurations, but I thought either 4 or 6. Now would also be a good time to replace the Harmonic Dampener with matching config and check torque / keyway wear / front oil seal. The pulley is actually 2 pieces held together by rubber which cracks, then seperates with age and could cost a crank. Unfortunately, I'm speaking from experience.

Last edited:
So I think I was right. The harmonic balancer that I took off was a triple all one piece. I guess the previous owner replaced it with the wrong part?

E1D880D9-3387-4D4A-9E2F-224A20C857B3.jpeg

4D396830-BBF3-4D11-9214-7B7527DF1E7A.jpeg

B5E6C738-573B-431F-A79B-0F95C39F0170.jpeg

It’s a 96. And I’m pretty sure that it’s the ac crank pulley bc there is three there now.
'96 with an HDT? Was this a swap? If this is for an HDT, you need:
13408-17010 x 1
90105-08154 x 6
96721-35042 x 1
Recommend checking PARTSOUQ.COM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom