1HD-T Vacuum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone out there know how much Vacuum the pump on a 1HD-T should be making?

I lost my brakes and I think my pump is gone.

I am only getting 1.5 in. hg. at idle, a little more at throttle but it drops after first brake application.

once off it keeps vacuum so no leaks, i checked and cleaned the check valve, it works fine?

I have the FSM books but can't anywhere on testing or routing of the vacuum system? all I can find is pump remove and install in The timing gear section.:bang:

Anyone have a source or pump in the Vancouver, BC area?

you are 100% sure you are not loosing vac somewhere .?

vac pump in my engine has over 400,000 km and still doing .. they are tuff to beat.

not 100%

you are 100% sure you are not loosing vac somewhere .?

vac pump in my engine has over 400,000 km and still doing .. they are tuff to beat.

No I am not 100% but I had a guage at the booster connection and right off the pump and there is just not enough vacuum to brake, about 1.5 - 5 in.hg.. also tested at the VSV idle switch and only getting 1.5in.hg. at idle, the switch actuates at 5in.hg.

So if I rev the crap out of it I get 1 decent brake then nothing till it builds again but it is very short lived.

Reading this I had wondered this myself as for some reason a few months ago my brakes got a little worse as in it required much more pedal effort for some reason.

Started to tinker around tonight and pulled the vac line to the booster and noticed my brake light come on, put it back and there doesn't seem to be any leaks anywhere but when I pumped fast after reconnecting the vac line the light flickered for a bit then remained off. I then went to take a look at my idle up for my AC as I noticed that it was not working, turns out it needed to be adjusted as it was not retracting enough.... after all this tinkering I now have a firm pedal.... go figure, I really don't get it and I kinda doubt it will help you but maybe tinker around lol :idea:

Reading this I had wondered this myself as for some reason a few months ago my brakes got a little worse as in it required much more pedal effort for some reason.

Started to tinker around tonight and pulled the vac line to the booster and noticed my brake light come on, put it back and there doesn't seem to be any leaks anywhere but when I pumped fast after reconnecting the vac line the light flickered for a bit then remained off. I then went to take a look at my idle up for my AC as I noticed that it was not working, turns out it needed to be adjusted as it was not retracting enough.... after all this tinkering I now have a firm pedal.... go figure, I really don't get it and I kinda doubt it will help you but maybe tinker around lol :idea:

Sounds interesting but I tried the VSV switch by disconnecting it and reconnecting the lines together not enough vacuum to increase the idle with the switch removed.
just for some giggles how does one adjust the switch? might be something to look at once this is sorted.

Cheers

Make sure the truck is running and loosen the 10mm nut on the back of the switch and with a flat head unwind the center until you want it where you want it or as per FSM

I was wondering if I could take one of those 70 series Idle up switches and rig it up to idle the truck up on cold days or for winching.... should be as easy project....

I was wondering if I could take one of those 70 series Idle up switches and rig it up to idle the truck up on cold days or for winching.... should be as easy project....

It is also an 80 series feature as well

It is also an 80 series feature as well

I've never seen an 80 with an idle up switch. Nor have I found it on toyodiy for an 80. I've been toying with getting one from a 70 or from a Surf and wiring it to my A/C vsv for winter idle up. I hate pulling and setting the hand throttle all the time in -40°C.

She's Broken!

Well I just pulled apart my Vacuum pump and she gone!

All 5 vanes inside are broken with large chunks missing.

Inspection is very simple to do and I would recomend doing it.

only hard part is cover removal as it is a tight fit. make sure not to damage the mating surfaces and you should be good.

It is oil filled so expect a bit of mess. I attached the photo for all to see as there is not much info out there.

O-Rings are silicone so reuse should be ok but I would order just in case.

Now i am going to try and order 5 Vanes or blades from somewhere?

Cheers

FYI

in the first Pic the Blades are in Backwards! the broken ends should be on the outside. I was playing around and didn't realize till i uploaded photos.

photo-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo.jpg

Now i am going to try and order 5 Vanes or blades from somewhere?

Maybe a used one. A wrecker here told me they had boxes of them because they never wear out.
Yours is the 1st I have ever heard of failing
Its the same as a 1HZ 1PZ 1HD FT and 1HD FTE.
Some of the used parts dealers in Canada may have one hanging about

Its there on Toyodiy.I found it with the accelerator cable for a general spec HZJ80 and HDJ80.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1995_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_HZJ80L-GCMESV_7851.html

Does your accelerator pedal have the bit for the hand throttle cable to attach to?

In any case it wont be much different to a 70 series except maybe the cable length

I have a hand throttle already - standard equipment on the HDJ81. What I mean by an idle up switch is an actual electrical switch that bumps up the idle. In this case, a switch that can independently control the AC idle up vsv. It would look similar to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Rav-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33830f2443

Here's a photo

$(KGrHqRHJE0FG9fOZK37BRvvgqdUbg~~60_58.JPG

Wonder what cause the pump to fail like that? Did you make sure you have no boost going to it?

Yikes that is no good.

That's a good price from Yan, if u source in the US u are looking at roughly 13 each, so I would suspect nearly 20 from a Canuckistan dealer

Yikes that is no good.

That's a good price from Yan, if u source in the US u are looking at roughly 13 each, so I would suspect nearly 20 from a Canuckistan dealer

Ill bet they are more than that, most parts seem to be 2X the price here over the US dealers. :(

I got lucky, Sheldon at G&S Cruisers has let me use one of his spares untill the parts come in. and yeah i got my parts through a canadian dealer for $24 each. but they be here quick and it will be done.

For everyones info it appears the blades have been going for a while. after the spare install I started up the truck and at idle I had almost 28.5in. hg.! thats a perfect vacuum. After driving it now i realise the difference brake pedel much nicer and the A/C idle up works alot better.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

going to source a second set of blades for cheap just in case.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom