1HD-T Chronic Low Oil Pressure at Gauge Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see roodogs has them on their site,$59.95 for the 75 series and $69.95 for the 80 series. Exactly the same part number 83520-60010

Im fairly sure the Corolla,Cressida and Corona are all the same. The sender on the 2F-3F-2H-12HT are also the same.
There are more as well ,at least 30 models in the Toyota stable use the same sender.
Im using a Corolla sender on my 73 series and a 3F sender on my HZJ75.

The ones with the ground tab are also usable. They work with the ground tab or without

I had a new and it was not working either... so I opened it up.

Sadly, now the gauge does not work at all, not even with the test lamp or even direct wire...

I had a new and it was not working either... so I opened it up.

Sadly, now the gauge does not work at all, not even with the test lamp or even direct wire...

The gauge is very VERY sensitive to incorrect voltage or bad earths. One mistake and PFFFT,no more gauge worky.

could it be the gap between the contacts(on first post)?

just pulled my gauge to do the temp fix, and see now why the oil px gauge doesn't work... looks like a bonfire hit it. :(

I'll post pics in a minute. Ugly.

Anyone have any experience fixing a burned out gauge?

Hmmmm i wonder if that is what mine looks like. i took it out to install the mad man kit and put jumper wires in to extend the factory ones, had them crossed the first time and the gauge went all the way to the top. Hook it up rite and nothing, but backwards reads max. wonder what that little tandem gauge set is worth?

a better pic of the pretzeled armature:
AUT_7324.JPG

interesting. something very bad happened, once upon a time.
going to see if it can be fixed.

I have a couple of clusters from a gasser, unfortunately I can see they are different from the JDMs, and the part numbers are different. Maybe if you could post pictures from different angles we could establish a list of similarities and differences to maybe be able to rebuild a gauge using some of the parts?

BTW, how easy (or difficult is it to remove the cluster on the HDJ81?

Her is a pic of the gasser gauge taken from roughly the same angle as yours:
2aiehcg.jpg

Somehow, looking at your pictures your bimetal strip with the coil of heating wire looks very, very suspicious. I can't imagine it should be that bent. This really looks abnormal.

mine looked almost identical to that picture before the https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/64252-93-97-coolant-temperature-gauge-modification-12.html

there are some more pictures there as well.

The bent bimetal strip isn't just fishy, it is FUBAR. I tried to straighten it out and reattach to the needle... we'll see if it works. I doubt it. I don't even know if the sender works, in any event. Time will tell.

What year is that gauge from, if you still have that info? just curious.

It was pretty easy to get the dash out. But I don't have a jdm. I've got a USA 1991 fj80 w/ an 93 hd-t motor dropped in and a 199? dash swapped in with an 199? combo meter.

It all seems to mostly work, but when I hit hiccups like this, it can be harder to troubleshoot.
About to go install the temp gauge (modified) now. Fingers are crossed! :)

Last edited:
update: I re-installed the cluster. the oil px still sits, unmoved and uncaring. mocking my efforts to help it straighten out and fly right.

so be it.

someday, after about 100 other things are repaired, I'll pursue a new gauge and try to make it all work and yet be stock. someday.

Fascinating read! I just wasted 2 hours instead of cleaning up like I've been meaning to while Sweetie Pie is sleeping :bang:

The bent bimetal strip isn't just fishy, it is FUBAR. I tried to straighten it out and reattach to the needle... we'll see if it works. I doubt it. I don't even know if the sender works, in any event. Time will tell.

What year is that gauge from, if you still have that info? just curious.

It was pretty easy to get the dash out. But I don't have a jdm. I've got a USA 1991 fj80 w/ an 93 hd-t motor dropped in and a 199? dash swapped in with an 199? combo meter.

It all seems to mostly work, but when I hit hiccups like this, it can be harder to troubleshoot.
About to go install the temp gauge (modified) now. Fingers are crossed! :)
The gauge in the picture was from a 93 or 94 IIRC, but I'm not sure. I got that from a fellow mudder a couple years ago, for testing purposes (I got stopped at the border for that, BTW! Apparently there is a criminal racket on instrument clusters as a method to rollback mileage on vehicles!). My idea was to see whether I could not make myself a better instrument cluster (too much work) or whether I could not add a "sub cluster" for extra instruments (pyrometer and turbo pressure gauge) using the instrument movements themselves (possible, but apart from the voltmeter, I haven't figured out on what electrical principle they operate)

update: I re-installed the cluster. the oil px still sits, unmoved and uncaring. mocking my efforts to help it straighten out and fly right.

so be it.

someday, after about 100 other things are repaired, I'll pursue a new gauge and try to make it all work and yet be stock. someday.
Sorry to say, but your best bet would be to get a new gauge cluster and do the temp mod on that one instead ;)

It just looks like the cluster disassemble into temp and oil might be a tad risky (especially removing the gauge needles - I tried, they are really stuck in there!)

I agree-- the temp gauge mod is so easy that I'd much rather just redo it than try to break 2 gauges and reassemble.

there is enough room on the legs of the diodes that I could just cut 'em off again and resolder on to the new board.

but.... that would require ripping the dash apart (again). so I'm going to wait.

There is a chance i know someone who is planning to maybe import a cruiser from canada to CR.
if he does, maybe I can buy your spare gauge and have him bring it down w/ the cruiser.

lots of maybe
first I've got to get my dash back together to be able to drive the truck to see if the coolant temp gauge works now.

I idled for a while, but don't think it'll ever really warm up just idling

This pressure sensor HDJ80 and applied in other Toyota models? Will be engine 14B is the same?
Do you know how many ohms it has to 0 bar to 6 bar and how many?

This is exactly why I love forums like this 👍🏻 The knowledge folks have is amazing 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom