1bbl D40 carb cable connections (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTacos

Full Globetard
Threads
I am trying to hook up the cables to my D40 and It has been a while since I removed it for a rebuild. I was a little dismayed when I realized that I have 3 cables to hook up.

Ok, so there's the choke. That's pretty straightforward......just hook that sucker up to the thing that closes the top butterfly.

Then the throttle. That guy runs through a vinyl coated housing with a ferrule that seats into a clamp and the cable hooks up to a little square female threaded doodad on the throttle "linkage" on the carb.

But then there is ANOTHER push/pull style rigid wire in a non-jacketed housing that runs to a knob on the dash. There appears to be a second clamp on the carb that is right next to the throttle housing stop and shares a fixing screw. But to what does it attach and what the heck does it do? Hand throttle? For warming up the engine?

It also has two "slip shots" (the barrel shaped things with a fixing screw in one end) on the wire but I might have put one on there from the throttle cable for safe keeping.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406481667.561304.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406481698.830545.jpg

'68, btw, and it has a '74 f155 in it.

Last edited:
That should be the hand throttle (choke knob is far left and it is to the right of it) I 86'd mine and l let that knob and cable become my temp control for my heater when I upgraded to a cable operated heater water valve.

That I don't recall.

choke cable runs horizontal and hand throttle is vertical on mine, i've got linkage for the pedal and it hooks to same area as hand throttle.
DSC08492.JPG

That's a cool setup, nuclearlemon.

Is that stock?

Is the accelerator pedal a rigid wire in that case? So it pushes the throttle linkage on the carb upward?

Edit: just read your post again. "Linkage" you say....:hmm:...what does that look like? Doesn't look like the 60 linkage on that end.....

Last edited:
Also, what does the brass fitting with the tiny pipe that comes out the valve cover side in that pic go to?

Mine just has a cut off stub......

Last edited:
My 69 has the same stock 3 cable system. All are ridged, the 3rd cable I use as 'cruise control'

yes, i will next time i see it in the garage. maybe tonight or def. tomorrow.

That's a cool setup, nuclearlemon.

Is that stock?

Is the accelerator pedal a rigid wire in that case? So it pushes the throttle linkage on the carb upward?

Edit: just read your post again. "Linkage" you say....:hmm:...what does that look like? Doesn't look like the 60 linkage on that end.....
it should be a sd40 big window carb, but other than that, it is bone stock. the f engine repair manual for the early models doesn't show quite the setup annie has, but it's a mix of 25 linkage and early 40 linkage
DSC08494.JPG
DSC08500.JPG
DSC08502.JPG
25 linkage.JPG

DSC08500.JPG

Thanks a lot nuclearlemon.

I'm going to have a very hard time finding that linkage, I think. Cable is my future I think.

Thanks for clarification on the dizzy connection, too. I'm gonna delete that. I have a silicone hose from the carb base going to a trollhole vac advance dizzy.

Fish
I am running a 86 carb on my 74 engine in my 69 (and it runs great btw) Originally I recall the hand throttle cable being hooked up to the linkage so it could open the throttle to increase idle and the accelerator pedal could take it from there with no restriction from the hand throttle.

Fish
I am running a 86 carb on my 74 engine in my 69 (and it runs great btw) Originally I recall the hand throttle cable being hooked up to the linkage so it could open the throttle to increase idle and the accelerator pedal could take it from there with no restriction from the hand throttle.
Also, with the 86 carb. Do you have all but one of the vac ports capped? Did you eliminate choke breaker, choke opener, fuel return circuit, evap stuff, etc?

I ask because I have 2 extra 61141 carbs that I could just bolt up, I guess, but I would have to modify the throttle linkage to work with a cable pedal, figure out an air filter, etc.

How's your mileage, btw? I've read that the d40 and sd40 get great mileage (by cruiser standards, at least)

I have a Trollhole vac advance dist. and have all the vac plugged except the ported vac which is just above the mixture screw pointing rearward. I eliminated all the above and made a cable adaptor modeled after the ones Trollhole uses on his carbs for the early guys. I may be crazy but my 74 F 1.5 with that set up works very nice for me. I am running an early air cleaner with some mods to get the height right and actually venting my valve cover into the af housing, running a stock pc valve. I may be a little on the rich side and have intended to research jet sizing to confirm . I can get a pic or two if you like. I never check mileage however it seems to be mid teens .

60 carb is dbl barrel....you'll need an adapter or to change manifold to put it where a sgl barrel was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom