1996 Missing Key fob perhaps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do I have Keyless Entry??

The 96 rig that I just bought did not seem to have keyless entry when I bought it. The previous owner never had the key fobs. When looking at the original sticker I saw an option for a remote security system for $619. How do I know if this still works and how would I go about getting key fobs that work with it?

Last edited:
If you have the RS3000 security system there will be a black box under the left front seat and an insert on the dash that has a glass breakage sensor and a red LED.

-B-

I have the LED light on the dash but don't see a black box. Would it be under the drivers seat or passenger?

Under driver seat.

I don't see anything under the drivers seat but was told it was sometimes under the dash...I have no idea what this box looks like so it is difficult to figure out.

If the vehicle was sold through one of the private distributors it would have on of their Mickey Mouse alarms in it.

Does the LED reside in a rectangular panel that says "Toyota Securtiy" on it? If not, it's one of the jickey ones.

Pictures

The truck was sold by Southeast Toyota Distributors and has this LED light.
pic1.jpg

Yup,

That's the Mickey Mouse setup.

Southeast Toyota

This is a pic of what is under the dash. I think this might be the system that was installed by Southeast Toyo Distributors when it was new. This is a shock sensor that is wired to a black box mounted on the back of the dash. I don't see any brand identification though.
pic3.jpg
pic2.jpg

i think you're out of luck. my car has some silly LED too, i leave it on so it makes it look like the car is armed when its locked. i don't think i have any real alarm system. i am trying to figure out if an OEM keyless entry can be added, hopefully dan has some input

You could add an original accessory alarm if you could find a kit. They have been discontinued for over a decade.

You would have to go to a dealer from the independent distributor network that originally sold the device.

That accessory is not factory and is not supported by TMS USA.

You would know if you had the Toyota alarm...... the horn would be going off and the lights would be flashing every time you tried to get in the truck!:eek:

Mine was so bad that the PO put an "on / off" switch in the horn circuit just so he didn't have to listen to it all the time!

You would know if you had the Toyota alarm...... the horn would be going off and the lights would be flashing every time you tried to get in the truck!

Not true. The TMS USA "factory" alarm can be programmed. No flashing lights. No piezo. No horn.... unless you trip the alarm.

-B-

Not true. The TMS USA "factory" alarm can be programmed. No flashing lights. No piezo. No horn.... unless you trip the alarm.

-B-

Not true? Really?
Thats a good one!
Well.... the "factory" alarm on my truck would go off every time you used the key to open the door! if you used the key fob, you were ok. It didn't matter how you had the unit programed, you had a couple of seconds (literally) then it went off - even with the engine running! There were plenty of times I drove my truck down the street with the headlights flashing (with the PO's horn switch turned "off") and didn't know it until someone told me!
I could program mine to "valet" mode which eliminated most of the problems... as well as most of the security, the only problem with that was every time you cut power to the truck the alarm reset and you had to go switch it back to valet.

One of the best mods I ever did was to jerk all that crap out of the truck!

"Not true".... you crack me up!:cheers:

"Not true".... you crack me up!:cheers:

The instructions are clear in that you must disarm the alarm with the FOB prior to opening the vehicle. If you were opening the truck with the key then you were not operating the alarm properly. I agree that is a bit strange but it is the way the system works and that behaviour is documented.

My RS3000 works as programmed. No horn honking unless the alarm is triggered. No headlights flashing; of course, markers and taillights flash to signal the alarm is armed/unarmed.

Your post makes it sound like the normal behaviour of the RS3000 is to sound the horn and flash the lights every time the alarm is armed/disarmed. This is not true and that is a fact. Sorry you never got yours programmed correctly but there is no sense in misleading others regarding the operation just because yours wasn't set up correctly.

-B-

Amen.

Mine came with that led on the dash too. Mine was an audiovox and no key fobs available. I promptly unplugged it and threw it across the street.

I was easier for me to just get a low end alarm installed. I didn't really care for the alarm. I just wanted the keyless entry.

This is a pic of what is under the dash. I think this might be the system that was installed by Southeast Toyo Distributors when it was new. This is a shock sensor that is wired to a black box mounted on the back of the dash. I don't see any brand identification though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom