1994 FZJ-80... Please educate me... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You'll probably hate it - better go w/ the newer one... and did ya happen to have a link to that '94 w/ 130K on it by chance?

You'll probably hate it - better go w/ the newer one... and did ya happen to have a link to that '94 w/ 130K on it by chance?

Lol. I already had someone else here that is in the market for an 80-series offer to "help me out" with checking out a vehicle in his area if I find one.:D

I actually sought a 94. My local emission laws start on OBDII and 95. When Pa goes to a full sniffer test I may or may not be exempt. so far I'm exempt. I moved up from an 88 fj62 and I was tempted to get a pre 93 for the old "tractor motor" but went with the higher output engine. Also I prefer the interior of the 94 reminds me of my 62..

The only thing I've run into is: it's difficult to get an exhaust system.

bob

The emission thing depends on local laws. Here the '95 and older rigs get a tail pipe sniff, underhood and under rig (cats) visual inspection, gas cap pressure test, etc. The '96 and newer only get a OBD2 scan and gas cap test, they don't even open the hood, no code, it passes.

I prefer OBD2, yes it requires a scanner, but that not a big deal, even most parts stores will check it for free. The older rigs only require shorting two terminals, but the only data is blink codes. OBD2 gives much more data including real time sensor output, making finding/diagnosing issues much easier than the finding then back probing sensor wires gig on the earlier rigs.

Bought my 94 before I even knew about this site. Learned a ton after joining/lurking/reading. And honestly say the only thing I may have done different is looked a little longer for a 94 locked. Thats not to say wouldnt have bought a 95+ had one I like been in front of me either. I dig the one I bought, happened to be 94. Sometimes I miss being able to play with the ODBII from just a fun techy perspective.

LC Owner :D | 94 :D

the biggest factor to me would be getting the lockers. To be able to get lockers from the factory is really a nice option in my opinion.
i do like how on OBD1 you can check codes with a paper clip, that is great as well, but not a huge deal to me.
I got the chance to remove the powertrain on an FZJ80 last christmas, I thought it was kick ass. Whatever one you get will be solid, the chassis and suspension on an 80 area miles ahead of a 60 series, but I have to say I really like the older body lines. But I love all land cruisers, just get one and have fun with it.
good luck to ya!

Here are some advantages to the 96-97:

+ ODBII -- Driving with the ScanGaugeII plugged in and displaying your coolant temperature, air intake temperature, corrected speedo for larger tires, and the ability to check/clear codes is a very cool feature (cost ~$150)
+ Airbags -- Nice safety feature especially if you have a family/kids.

Here are some advantages to the 94:

+ Radiator -- 3-row brass instead of 2-row aluminum
+ Tranny -- larger 442 instead of smaller 343

Here are some disadvantages to both year-models:

- Wimpy horn
- Lack of cup holders
- Rusty roof rack footings
- Wimpy bumpers
- Peel-off fender flares
- Possible head gasket issue
- No hybrid-like gas mileage

You would be just as happy with a '94 as with a '95 or '96. You'll work on whatever rig you have. If the truck has OBDII you need a scanner, with older ones you can just use a paper clip to read the flash codes. To me that's not a good enough reason to shy away from a '94

I have a 94 and I like the dash layout better (but that may just be because I'm used to it).

You'll be happy either way.
:beer:

If you still can't decide, just get one of each. The more the better. :D

93s and 94s are a half breed mongrel in my opinion and I wouldn't own one.

How so? :)

I have a 93 but haven't driven it much since I got it. I like the pre-airbag steering wheel a lot better, and as far as mechanicals go, at the mileage I'm at I'm doing or have to do a lot anyway since mine has been a bit of a beater for a while.

Condition, miles, lockers, and maintenance seem more important then 93-94 vs 95-97 to me from all that I've read here.

Last edited:

I ahve a 93 but havent' driven it much since I got it. I like the pre-airbag steering wheel a lot better, and as far as mechanicals go, at the mileage I'm at I'm doing or have to do a lot anyway since mine has been a bit of a beater for a while.

Condition, miles, lockers, and maintenance seem more important then 93-94 vs 95-97 to me from all that I've read here

Yup. Other than personal preference for one equipment item or another, I've yet to see a reason to stay away from them.

I got some pictures of this rig...it looks pretty good. Hopefully I can arrange to check it out Friday or Saturday.

Year was last on my list as well. Just put together what's important to you and get the rig. For me it was lockers, interior quality and miles. If it didn't have lockers I didn't even look at the truck and I bought mine after verifying what was important to me.

GL.

Could you get a 95+ with cloth interior? Thats one thing i really like is how well the cloth interior has held up in mine... all the ones with leather interior just looked terrible...

I don't think I've ever seen a 95+ with cloth interior (not to say that they don't exist). That's the main thing I'm not sold on this particular vehicle about (I don't really like the looks of the leather). When you're talking about a 15 year old vehicle, I don't think you can really be that picky though (as long as the seats aren't all torn up).

I have a 93 but haven't driven it much since I got it. I like the pre-airbag steering wheel a lot better, and as far as mechanicals go, at the mileage I'm at I'm doing or have to do a lot anyway since mine has been a bit of a beater for a while.

Condition, miles, lockers, and maintenance seem more important then 93-94 vs 95-97 to me from all that I've read here.

I just wouldn't buy a 94 or 95. Toyota was transitioning from the 91-92s to the new technologies. The 93 and 94s ended up some where in the middle. The newer ones get better fuel mileage and power, air bags for safety and a break on insurance in my area. The newer ones have OBDII which I find easier to diagnose and more receptive to power adders.

From what I've read on here the "bus" tranny has more issues than the A343, not that it's impervious to issues either.

Just my opinion, my son has a 91 and I have a 96 and a 97. I love them all but still would not consider a 93 or 94.

I just wouldn't buy a 94 or 95. Toyota was transitioning from the 91-92s to the new technologies. The 93 and 94s ended up some where in the middle. The newer ones get better fuel mileage and power, air bags for safety and a break on insurance in my area. The newer ones have OBDII which I find easier to diagnose and more receptive to power adders.

From what I've read on here the "bus" tranny has more issues than the A343, not that it's impervious to issues either.

Just my opinion, my son has a 91 and I have a 96 and a 97. I love them all but still would not consider a 93 or 94.

If we were talking about a few miles per gallon, I'd take that into account. From what I've read, the difference in MPG from a '94-97 is going to be negligible at best. I want to say my brothers '97 gets around 13mpg in town.

I called on the insurance. For whatever reason, the '94 is $100+ cheaper on a six month policy than a '96-97. That's for me at least...

"The newer ones get better fuel mileage and power, air bags for safety and a break on insurance in my area."

I didn't realize that the 93-94 had any less HP than the 95-97.
I thought all 1FZ-FE's were rated at 212 HP.

Mileage in these trucks depends heavily on how you drive the truck and any extra weight you add via after market goodies.
And, most importantly, how well it's maintained..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom