1994 factory stereo install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser is a 1991. I purchased a stereo and harness both off a 1994 FZJ80 and have just now installed the harness. The stereo does not switch on with the car on or just in "ON". Doesn't then on at all...
just wondering if this is because some sort of security device where the stereo can only work in the car it's from? Any help would be nice
Thanks
Chris

NOt sure

Howdy, I'm not sure about a security feature, but you might be on the right track. The FSM and the Haynes manual both have notes regarding disconnecting power from vehicle and making sure you have a security code for the radio, if so equipped.

Not sure how to override or find the code, but another thought is....are sure the unit was working in the first place? And, are you sure you have power to those plugs?

Good luck and post what you can find.

Chris, I dont mean to be a smartass, but why would you go to the trouble of putting 20 year old technology into your '91? You can purchase much newer technology, that will require the same amount of modification, for very little money.

If you do a search for "Scion head unit" on this forum you might be surprised to learn what is available.

If the radio is locked it will say 'code' on the display and will power up and light up with the dash lights.

You likely have a power issue. How's the radio fuses? Did you test for power on the radio harness?

With Copenhagen...I am curious why you are going with an "orig" system?
:bang:

FYI

I just wanted to chime in on above comments. I do understand the desire to keep the rig stock and use OEM stereo for looks, but really with todays technology and the features that can be had for ver little money, I have to say that there are better options out there.

I really wanted to keep my '91 OEM unit, but it was just thrashed and had no function other than the radio, so in trying to keep it looking somewhat OEM, I ended up going with a 2008 Scion T1809. It has radio, cd, Sat ready and controls iPods. Its roughly the same size as the OEM radio and fit nicely with a little trimming and it was plug and play.

I was able to get it at a local junk yard for $45 and it works and looks great. Just know that you have options that are still pretty cool.:cheers:

In all honesty I just wanted to keep everything as stock as I could. It's really the last thing I'm worried about but if I can find a deal on the Scion unit I'll get it. But
For the sake of knowledge...
when I re-wired the harness, found an un insulated wire. It wasn't like the rest at all: thick as crap and silver not copper wire but it was fit perfectly into the 91 harness. The wire was wrapped throughout with electrical tape...had anyone else seen this?
Thank for all the help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom