1992 LN106 gearbox removal for twin t/case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, any tips for removing those upper bellhousing bolts when the old 'box is still in the truck ?
I haven't lowered the crossmember yet and have used 2 really long extension bars and 2 x 1/2' drive universal joints to get a dog leg joint over the gearbox and up to the top 3 bellhousing bolts you can see in the pic above the starter motor nose resess, but this mehod I'm sure won't work too great when having to do them up....
No room to swing a spanner behind the head from above so sctatching my head. Putting the new gearbox together - R151 to twin 23 spline gear drives
was easier on the bench than it seems just getting the bolts out so I can drop the old G52 5 speed !
-
LN 106.jpg

Last edited:
Drop the crossmember so you can lower the case a bit. Use as few extensions possible. Big kid air gun with impact swivel, preferably a swivel socket.

Drop the crossmember so you can lower the case a bit. Use as few extensions possible. Big kid air gun with impact swivel, preferably a swivel socket.

This is how I’ve always done it, bonus if your engine mounts are already stuffed you can get quite a bit of room.

Out of curiosity, what bellhousing are you using to make the R151 work?

Out of curiosity, what bellhousing are you using to make the R151 work?
[/QUOTE]

Factory Surf 2LT-E bellhousing, They are around but as manual a bit harder to find. Bolts stright up gear levers come out mm correct.

What are you doing about the driveshafts? Just shortening and lengthening the existing or making changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom