1992 FJ80 multiple problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. Mine started the clunk at around 40K miles. Over the last 18 years of ownership I have replaced a fair number of parts including both gearsets, entire front diff carrier, rear driveshaft, and front drive plates. None of these cured the issue. I haven't replaced or rebuilt the transfer case, but this hardly seems worth it as a brand new one started clunking after 40K miles. She now has 203K miles.

The only way I've found to quiet the clunk; keep the slip yolks and universal joints properly lubed and turn up the radio.

Yeah, i guess i'll just have to live with it for now, thanks for the replies fellows. I've got a whole other can worms that opened up anyway. Next week, i'm going tighten up my cooling system. Replace hoses, fan clutch, temp sensor, radiator cap, water pump and coolant temp sensor. While i'm down there and have everything out, i'm going to seal up the lower block. Replace front and rear main oil seals, oil pan gasket and timing gear cover gasket. Any other tips or pm i should do or be aware of?

X2 what jonheld said, lube it and turn up the radio. I've put about $1500 into my sound system....It helps with the lack of speed as well. :D

My 92 has had the same clunk for years. When my front U-joints went bad I replaced them but no difference in the clunk. If your U-joints are really bad then you will feel a vibration under power and no vibration when coasting. At least that was my experience.

I think I need to replace my fan clutch. My fan is always going no matter what, even in below 0 weather. Must be siezed up or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom