1990 HDJ80 Won't Turn Off...Turns off but won't stop trying to turn over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I need some help. Have an HDJ80, tried to turn if off but it won't stop trying to turnover. I changed the starter solenoid ( not sure on the correct term - the solenoid behind the LHS battery) as my friend put a volt meter to it and it seemed like it fused itself to always trying to start. I grabbed a used on this morning, and when I hooked the battery back up it tried kicking over. It's a 24V system. I pulled the key out (when there was power hooked up) and it kept trying to kick over. Pulled the ignition fuse, still tried kicking over. If the batteries are disconnected then the engine shuts off so I don't think its diesel run away as it just keeps trying to turnover, but is actually off. What am I missing? Please help. Possible the replacement (used solenoid) is also shot? It's 6am , so I can't get his volt meter to see if the replacement one is also pooched.

Help

Last edited:
Sounds like the starter solenoid on the starter is jammed. Whack it with a rubber mallet a few times.

Nope. Pulled the starter solenoid and changed it. Still trying to start without a key. Sounds like I have a power gremlin somewhere as power is getting to the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom