1990 FJ62 Build Thread - Ellen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all,

I haven't had a Land Cruiser in over 15 years (a 1994 FJ80) but am finally back in the saddle again with this 1990 FJ62. Any and all advice/suggestions are welcome.

Meet Ellen. I picked her up on Friday, April 1, 2022 (No this isn't a joke. :)
Got her from an 81 year old woman (named Ellen) here in Southeast VA.

It is a bit of a unicorn. It's only got 88K original miles and has been garaged since day 1. So not a single bit of rust or paint fade.
I love that she opted out of the electric windows and locks so both are manual. The interior looks as good as the exterior. Not a crack or tear anywhere.
She also had an AudiVox aftermarket cruise control put in back in 1998 (I have the receipt) and it works great.
It also still has a mounted Motorola DynaTAC 3500 car phone (I'm going to modify the internals on it to work as a bluetooth headset or GRMS radio but keep the car phone look.

She even gave me the original window sticker (from Bill Page Toyota) and dealer brochure with the key code tag attached to it.

The FJ62 does need a lot of standard maintenance work as not much was done over the years. Oil changes and recalls were done and a fuel pump back in 2013.

So on to the work needed that is getting underway.
- Change ALL fluids and flush where that applies (radiator, trans, etc.)
- Both front axle seals
- Oil pan gasket
- Trans pan gasket
- Rear main seal (seeping)
- Rear pinion seal (seeping)
- New distributor, plugs, and wires
- Throttle body cleaning
- Timing adjustment (so I don't have to have the throttle knob pulled out slightly to maintain good idle)
- MAF sensor cleaning
- New fuel filter, air filter
- New front marker lights (plastic cracked)
- New wipers all around
- New shocks, springs, bushings, shackles, bushings (all being taken care of by an OME suspension kit)

Mods I plan on adding - minimal drilling to preserve stock build (thanks to Bull Run Overland in Manassas, VA for great consulting and pricing better than online)
- ARB OME Suspension (2" lift)
- ARB Front bumper (winch ready - still trying to find the right US made winch)
- Rear bumper eventually but haven't found what I want to get
- ARB Rear locker
- ARB CKMA12 onboard compressor
- ARB Base 64 roof rack
- ARB protection steps
- 31+ tires (trying to keep it gas and highway friendly as I'll take long trips - camping, overland, BLM land, etc.) - advice on tires appreciated!
- Possibly new wheels eventually but it's sensory overload on what's available so it can wait for now.
- Seat covers (still figuring out which ones but going with US made and water resistant/waterproof)
- Dash cover
- Waterproof mats / carpet protection / cargo area protection (advice on what anyone likes and why are welcome - trying to go US made here too)
- Eventually a bolt on pull out awning
- Anything I'm missing?

I'll post pics as she progresses.

View attachment 2982500
Looks like a beauty! I'm new on here and want to know if you or anyone else has ever come across a Delta Minicruiser imported to USA from Philippines?

MiniCruiser.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom