GM 1987 Suburban Build, or Nah? Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This old truck belongs to my dad. Been sitting in front of shop for about 10 years. Really tempted to redo the interior and suspension - make it a camping rig. Don't know what state the engine is in. Good engine, yes? Bad engine, no? New engine? Thanks in advance!
Burb1.jpeg
Burb2.jpeg
Burb3.jpeg

Those old suburbans are fun. Super roomy for camping. I have a 1973 Frankenstein build with a newer 350 TBI and 700r4 tranny. Simple to work on and parts are everywhere.
Being that your dads old truck has been sitting for a decade you could be taking on a larger then expected project. Just something to keep in mind.

I would find out the miles and which motor/tranny it has. The 700r4 cruises great on the frwy but is notoriously weak. Had to rebuild mine twice.

4A2141A7-9092-4723-AE7D-24CEB321705E.jpeg

This old truck belongs to my dad. Been sitting in front of shop for about 10 years. Really tempted to redo the interior and suspension - make it a camping rig. Don't know what state the engine is in. Good engine, yes? Bad engine, no? New engine? Thanks in advance!View attachment 2451216View attachment 2451218View attachment 2451219
Last year for the solid front axle for GM.

Go here for the best information on these.

That looks like fun! 'Burbs are great camping rigs. Better than pickups because you don't have to get out to drive away in the morning if you're camped in a less than ideal location ;)

I was told years ago that the HD pickup frames are a good bit stronger than those found on even 3/4T 'Burbs. Not sure if that's true. Just something to keep in mind. I'm not sure about the few 1 ton 'Burbs out there.

Overdrive automatics are really nice to have on the highway while gettin' there compared to a T350/T400. I have a '73 PU with a 3-speed auto. It takes forever to get anywhere. I thought that a lot of the weak points of the 700Rr4 trans had kind of been beefed up these days?
Last year for the solid front axle for GM.
For pickups - yes. I think the Blazers and Suburbans ran solid axles thru '91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom