1985 FJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guu

Threads
Hello I’m Steve and this is my FJ73, I bought it last year and it is my first 4x4. Since I have owned it I’ve had to replace the fuel tank due to rust, I had one made by Brown Davis and it’s a nice bit of kit. Increased capacity to 120ltr. Will grab a photo soon. And also I’ve replaced the water pump and done a couple of gaskets on the engine alongside normal fluids and filters.

1.jpg

It has generally been very reliable and I really like it. BUT, last time I took it out over Christmas the axle housing bent on me. It has gone before because upon stripping the axle down one of the trunnion bearing races is offset.

AXLE OUT.jpeg

bearing.jpg

So I’ve been on the hunt for a replacement axle housing. I live on a remote island but thankfully there are many landcruiser’s which have been left all over the place. First I tried a 60 axle housing but that was too big, this car only had 150k km on it. I may go back and get the diff!

2.jpg

Next I found a leaf sprung 75 ute but this had a diff which was too small. As my car is a 1985 model I needed an early one with the larger diff as I wanted to reuse my own axle parts.

3.jpg

I eventually found one in a locals back garden. The vehicle had been upside down for a very long time and all the inner axles and everything removed. Just the axle housing remain and it is very rusty. So i'm cleaning it and getting it ready to go on. Want my cruiser back by the end of the weekend!

4.jpg

5.jpg

The knuckle cups came up good with some elbow grease and tin foil

6.jpg

Rust inside the housing :(

7.jpg

The actual inside bit / tubes ? in which the inner axles go through are nice and clean though

8.jpg

Last edited:
And these last pictures here are off tonights work

9.jpg

IMG_20170404_000807.jpg

Not a good time to be painting in wet season though, going to have to re do the sway bar

IMG_20170404_001048.jpg

Welcome. It is nice to see another FJ73 so I don't feel so alone although most other FJ73s owners here seem to be from AUS.

No worries mate glad to be here.

Rough and ready frame painting in my lunch break....Hope it doesn't rain

IMG_20170404_150619.jpg

IMG_20170404_150626.jpg

I used a grinder with a couple of different wire brush attachments and then a manual wire brush for those areas where i couldn't get the grinder in. I didn't take the paint back to bare metal. Then a good go over with the air gun

Paint is rust guard enamel by white knight.

Bit of a rush job tbh but can't have done any harm and looks much better than before.

The free wheeling hubs come up good too!!!

14912872936191952354255.jpg

Nice, I would like to visit GE one day. Is there a parts store on the island?

Is that rain from Cyclone Debra?

Haha no or in the local language Nara!! The place is beautiful mate. If you get a chance come for sure. Fishing is amazing!

There are plenty of abandoned cars though.

Nope just general rain. Not much done tonight two under panels sprayed and the sway bar re done. Ran out of paint though, would like to have given it another coat really.

IMG_20170404_214951.jpg

IMG_20170404_231423.jpg

IMG_20170404_231433.jpg

Been bit lazy last couple of nights but got some work done tonight. Diff and axle painted and also the thing that the u bolts and shock bolts to.

Bit of a problem with the tie rods i cant unscrew two of them. I can get one out of each side but the other ones, the ones with like a hole in them for you to get a bar or screwdriver through to help with unscrewing them are putting up a real fight.

I can get them to turn just it's very hard but they just dont seem to be unscrewing out. Am i missing something here??? Any help please

IMG_20170407_230132.jpg

IMG_20170408_020510.jpg

IMG_20170408_020535.jpg

IMG_20170408_020647.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom