1985 FJ60 Door Speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to replace the door speaker without removing the whole door panel?

I wasn't able to find anything in a search other than removing the door panel.

I do not see any screws, but there appear to be clips integrated in the speaker grate that hold them in place.

Thanks,

20211102_094822.jpg

I replaced mine without removing or damaging the door panel. I pulled the clips on the lower third to lower half of the door and leaned it out enough to replace. I think the whole process took less than an hour. I did have to drill an additional hole to mount the speakers.

Also make sure that you have shallow mount speakers and/or enough room that your window still rolls down.

I replaced mine without removing or damaging the door panel. I pulled the clips on the lower third to lower half of the door and leaned it out enough to replace. I think the whole process took less than an hour. I did have to drill an additional hole to mount the speakers.

Also make sure that you have shallow mount speakers and/or enough room that your window still rolls down.
Thanks for the head's-up on the shallow speakers. So you didn't have to remove the window crank doing it this way?

Thanks for the head's-up on the shallow speakers. So you didn't have to remove the window crank doing it this way?
I did not. I'm sure I angered the mud gods by not following the FSM to a tee and not re-torqueing everything to the correct parameters.

I really did not want to mess up the door card so that was my biggest concern. There is someone who makes a 3d printed spacer that bolts to the door and then uses the modern 4 screws that speakers use to make it even easier to mount speakers the right depth with no drilling.

Below is a link for the speakers that will fit when you use those spacers. Just had to replace one of mine.....don't ask. They sound pretty good. Now I have an extra. What's the deal with the holes in the right side of the dash where it looks like you could place a speaker? I don't think I have ever seen that addressed and now that I have an extra speaker it has me thinking.....

Amazon product ASIN B00SAY8370

Removing the door panel isn't bad on these. Only takes a few minutes. You just need one of these:

images
Wow, this is not an overstatement. I bought one of those, and a plastic pry tool to help with the pins. Came right off. Inner plastic shield was still in pretty good shape. added some clear plastic packing tape to close a couple holes. Now I just have to find appropriate speakers...

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom