1984 bj42 h55f input shaft question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I may have answered my question by searching some for sale posts , but tell me if I'm right or wrong. Is the input shaft from an h42 the same as the gasser h55 f and can it be swapped into my h55f?

Is the input shaft from an h42 the same as the gasser h55 f and can it be swapped into my h55f?

The H42 input shaft has the same number of coarse splines and is the same length.

The problem is that the gear ratios on the H42F is different compared to the H55f, because of that the input can't be swapped between them.

2H is the same as the fj H55

From what I've read, the H and F input shafts are the same while the B is different.

My thinking is if you have any old H42 from an F-engine you could use that input shaft on the B's H55F.

My thinking is if you have any old H42 from an F-engine you could use that input shaft on the B's H55F.

Believe me, it will not fit. I've tried.

The H41F input will work on the H55F, but not the close ratio H42F.

You looking for a H55F with a 60 series top cover or one for a 40 series?

I have a low mileage H55f for sale with a 2F/2H input shaft, but it has a top cover for a 60 series.
It will fit on the 40 series, but the shifter hole on the floor will have to be moved.

Several years ago I converter an H55 tranny into an H55F.
Expensive way to go but possible.

Will my shifter plate from my h55f swap on to yours so it will fit ? it is a factory bj42 with the different hump than the fj40? thanks. Sorry I'm really confusing everyone mine is the h55f I was thinking the f meant fj or something it is 4wd

Here are some pics of mine

image-1131698691.jpg

image-1372508816.jpg

image-922457490.jpg

OK,
That is an early H55F with the 3B input, you can tell because the retainer cover doesn't have the two oil feed channels for the main bearing.

If you want to drive down or ship it to me here in So Cal, I can swap out the input shaft and install the correct 2F/2H shaft and bearing retainer. I have the correct parts in stock.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

My bad for inaccurate information. Thanks for correcting.

If you end up taking off that 3B input shaft, I'll take it off your hands! I've got a 3B with the H42F that will someday be swapped out for an H55F. If I have the correct input shaft that should open up more more H55F possibilities.

As a reminder, pre 10/1985 transmissions use a 90mm diameter input bearing and the small c clip is place in a different position than the post 10/85 92mm diameter bearing. I believe if you remove the input cover the 90mm is an open bearing and the 92mm is sealed with normally an orange color. The input gears on H55's and H41's have 26 teeth to engage to counter shaft while H42's have a different number so the inputs can't be swapped to a H42 4 speed as they don't mesh with counter gear.

As Amauri mentioned, the 10/85 and later transmissions have "ears" on the front upper portion of retainer- the fastest way to ID a early vs late transmission.

You can rebuild the transmission to freshen it up. This past summer we got a new output shaft for an early B H55 from Georg and replaced that along with a chipped 5th gear.

If you need a late transmission, you can get the 60450 but then you will need the late B series bearing retainer and late B series input.

The desirable 40 series top plate interchanges with all 5 speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom