1983 Beige FJ40 in CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1983 FJ40 in So Cal - Low Mileage (47K)

1983 FJ40
Mileage: 47,050
Options: Factory AC and PS
Vin# JT3FJ40C1D3360007
Engine Serial #: 682492
Color: Beige
Clean Carfax
Price: $29,500
Has original tool kit, owner’s manual, jack, etc. The utility light included with the sale is not original to the truck.

With only 47K miles this Fj40 may be the most original ’83 on the road today. It has original painted wheels, original paint with the dealer added pin striping, original seats that are in near mint condition, original headliner, original engine, original tool kit and owners manual. Other ‘83’s come on the market every now and then, but they have either been grossly modified by prior owners or restored with after market or powder coated wheels, incorrect grey vinyl, etc. Classics can only be original once.

When the truck was delivered to my home it had less than 47K miles. I quickly took it for a test drive and was amazed at how smooth the engine ran and the power. Also impressive was how quiet the ride was. Without doing anything to the truck, within an hour of delivery, I took it to get a smog check and it passed. This is a testament to the care the elderly original owner gave this FJ. She kept meticulous records of every drop of fuel and oil she put into the truck. She also recorded all maintenance she had performed. It was briefly owned by a gentleman from Colorado. I am the 3rd owner.

Over the last year I’ve addressed a few issues. It was truly a labor of love. I’ve enjoyed driving this FJ40 and working on assorted things, but I just don’t have the time I once had. And I don’t want this rare truck just sitting in my garage. It should be owned by someone who has the time to enjoy her.

Here’s a description of the truck. I hope you find it helpful:

Exterior:

The paint is original with the original pin striping. Many FJ40’s had pin striping, but you rarely see any with this original artwork. The exterior has minor dings, scratches and the rear quarter panels have the typical rust spots. It appears as though the right apron had some work done to it. The hood as well as the top have some dings that appear to be from a hail storm. Neither are eye sores and are only noticeable upon a close inspection. The underside is in good condition. The panels show no signs of rust. The frame and axles have some surface rust that can be easily cleaned. The rear brake drum backing plates have surface rust as well.

All glass is original with the exception of the windshield. The windshield is in excellent condition. No cracks or visible chips.

Interior:

Overall it’s excellent. The dash has no cracks. Seats have original vinyl (excellent condition!) with just one tear on the left side of the driver’s seat. Radio hole is uncut. Rear seats are in excellent condition. Front floors look great. The original floor mats are in excellent condition and show very light wear. Interior light works, but bottom of switch is broken off. The wheel wells in bed have some rust spots at brackets. The spots are isolated and can be addressed without replacing the well panels. Bed shows signs of typical use. The headliner is original and in good shape. It is sagging slightly at the rear corners, but can easily be re-glued. The Doors panels were cut for speakers, but originals panels are still available for about $110 each. I have a set of new panels I could include with the sale. The radio turns on, but doesn’t play. I don’t thing the front door speakers are hooked up.

Mechanical:

Overall excellent and great power! Engine, emission components, all accessories appear to be original.No visible oil leaks. The exhaust system is original (including original CAT) with the exception of the muffler. A shop welded on an aftermarket muffler. I have a new OEM muffler and a used 2nd exhaust pipe I could include with the sale.

Air conditioning components work, but it doesn’t blow cold. The system appears to be out of Freon (R12). I tested this by bypassing the pressure switch and the compressor engaged. Fan works fine. Heater fan works in both high and low speed.

The right knuckle is leaking slightly, but the left is dry. Springs are original and have some surface rust. All bushings should be replaced. This cruiser has the common left lean. I have the factory kit to fix the issue, just haven’t had the time to do it. It is included with the sale. The steering damper is original, but should probably be replaced. The rubber is torn on both ends. All ball joints should be replaced. Steering seems tight, but most rubber on the ball joints are torn (but well lubed).

All lights, turn signals, etc. and switches work properly.

Driving Impressions: It’s the most quiet (engine and transfer case) FJ40 I’ve ever been it. Most of the noise while driving can be addressed by replacing the door weather stripping. They are all original and brittle. She shifts well, 4wd works great, brakes work well. Clutch works well and makes no noises.

Items I’ve addressed:

1. Fluids changed: Engine oil (& filter), differentials, transmission and transfer case. Knuckles topped off with moly grease.
2. Flushed coolant, replaced bottom and top radiator hoses, replaced thermostat, radiator cap and cleaned up reservoir bottle.
3. Replaced all belts w/ Toyota OEM belts
4. Repainted windshield washer arms. Replaced wiper blades and arm caps.
5. Replaced front pinion seal due to a leak.
6. Replaced all tires including the spare. The old spare was the original OEM spare tire, so I held onto it and it’s being sold with the truck.
7. Replaced carb cooling fan fuse behind dash. Fan now operates normally.
8. Replaced battery tray and cleaned up/painted battery tray bracket.
9. Replaced Battery
10. Replaced all hoses at charcoal canister. Painted canister bracket.
11. Replaced all fuel feed lines in engine compartment. Replaced fuel filter.
12. Replaced clutch and brake pedal pads (interior)
13. Replaced missing interior plastic plugs
14. Replaced all 4 flexible brake lines with OEM lines and flushed the brake system.
15. Replaced brake proportioning and bypass valve.
16. Replaced missing hood pad on front of hard top.
17. Replaced missing rubber windshield pads on hood.

Overall, this is a very original and well preserved, low mileage, FJ40. Priced at $29,500 I am not making a dime. I probably have over $32K invested plus many hours of my time (I enjoyed every minute!).

To see all of the pictures go to:

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/jm...%20FJ40?page=1

If you have any questions or are interested in taking a look feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks.

John

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's the same one.

John

Beautiful!

...as requested. Reminder, to see all of the pictures go to the link on my prior two posts.

John

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

I've seen and driven this fj40. It is awesome. The description makes the rust seem worse than it is, the cruiser is really clean and the originality of this one is evident down to all the little details. Hardly ever see them like this. No affiliation at all, just vouching for a great fj40 (and I hardly ever chime in like this). Good luck with sale.

1983 FJ40 in So Cal - Low Mileage (47K)

1983 FJ40
Mileage: 47,050
Options: Factory AC and PS
Vin# JT3FJ40C1D3360007
Engine Serial #: 682492
Color: Beige
Clean Carfax
Price: $29,500
Has original tool kit, owner’s manual, jack, etc. The utility light included with the sale is not original to the truck.

With only 47K miles this Fj40 may be the most original ’83 on the road today. It has original painted wheels, original paint with the dealer added pin striping, original seats that are in near mint condition, original headliner, original engine, original tool kit and owners manual. Other ‘83’s come on the market every now and then, but they have either been grossly modified by prior owners or restored with after market or powder coated wheels, incorrect grey vinyl, etc. Classics can only be original once.

When the truck was delivered to my home it had less than 47K miles. I quickly took it for a test drive and was amazed at how smooth the engine ran and the power. Also impressive was how quiet the ride was. Without doing anything to the truck, within an hour of delivery, I took it to get a smog check and it passed. This is a testament to the care the elderly original owner gave this FJ. She kept meticulous records of every drop of fuel and oil she put into the truck. She also recorded all maintenance she had performed. It was briefly owned by a gentleman from Colorado. I am the 3rd owner.

Over the last year I’ve addressed a few issues. It was truly a labor of love. I’ve enjoyed driving this FJ40 and working on assorted things, but I just don’t have the time I once had. And I don’t want this rare truck just sitting in my garage. It should be owned by someone who has the time to enjoy her.

Here’s a description of the truck. I hope you find it helpful:

Exterior:

The paint is original with the original pin striping. Many FJ40’s had pin striping, but you rarely see any with this original artwork. The exterior has minor dings, scratches and the rear quarter panels have the typical rust spots. It appears as though the right apron had some work done to it. The hood as well as the top have some dings that appear to be from a hail storm. Neither are eye sores and are only noticeable upon a close inspection. The underside is in good condition. The panels show no signs of rust. The frame and axles have some surface rust that can be easily cleaned. The rear brake drum backing plates have surface rust as well.

All glass is original with the exception of the windshield. The windshield is in excellent condition. No cracks or visible chips.

Interior:

Overall it’s excellent. The dash has no cracks. Seats have original vinyl (excellent condition!) with just one tear on the left side of the driver’s seat. Radio hole is uncut. Rear seats are in excellent condition. Front floors look great. The original floor mats are in excellent condition and show very light wear. Interior light works, but bottom of switch is broken off. The wheel wells in bed have some rust spots at brackets. The spots are isolated and can be addressed without replacing the well panels. Bed shows signs of typical use. The headliner is original and in good shape. It is sagging slightly at the rear corners, but can easily be re-glued. The Doors panels were cut for speakers, but originals panels are still available for about $110 each. I have a set of new panels I could include with the sale. The radio turns on, but doesn’t play. I don’t thing the front door speakers are hooked up.

Mechanical:

Overall excellent and great power! Engine, emission components, all accessories appear to be original.No visible oil leaks. The exhaust system is original (including original CAT) with the exception of the muffler. A shop welded on an aftermarket muffler. I have a new OEM muffler and a used 2nd exhaust pipe I could include with the sale.

Air conditioning components work, but it doesn’t blow cold. The system appears to be out of Freon (R12). I tested this by bypassing the pressure switch and the compressor engaged. Fan works fine. Heater fan works in both high and low speed.

The right knuckle is leaking slightly, but the left is dry. Springs are original and have some surface rust. All bushings should be replaced. This cruiser has the common left lean. I have the factory kit to fix the issue, just haven’t had the time to do it. It is included with the sale. The steering damper is original, but should probably be replaced. The rubber is torn on both ends. All ball joints should be replaced. Steering seems tight, but most rubber on the ball joints are torn (but well lubed).

All lights, turn signals, etc. and switches work properly.

Driving Impressions: It’s the most quiet (engine and transfer case) FJ40 I’ve ever been it. Most of the noise while driving can be addressed by replacing the door weather stripping. They are all original and brittle. She shifts well, 4wd works great, brakes work well. Clutch works well and makes no noises.

Items I’ve addressed:

1. Fluids changed: Engine oil (& filter), differentials, transmission and transfer case. Knuckles topped off with moly grease.
2. Flushed coolant, replaced bottom and top radiator hoses, replaced thermostat, radiator cap and cleaned up reservoir bottle.
3. Replaced all belts w/ Toyota OEM belts
4. Repainted windshield washer arms. Replaced wiper blades and arm caps.
5. Replaced front pinion seal due to a leak.
6. Replaced all tires including the spare. The old spare was the original OEM spare tire, so I held onto it and it’s being sold with the truck.
7. Replaced carb cooling fan fuse behind dash. Fan now operates normally.
8. Replaced battery tray and cleaned up/painted battery tray bracket.
9. Replaced Battery
10. Replaced all hoses at charcoal canister. Painted canister bracket.
11. Replaced all fuel feed lines in engine compartment. Replaced fuel filter.
12. Replaced clutch and brake pedal pads (interior)
13. Replaced missing interior plastic plugs
14. Replaced all 4 flexible brake lines with OEM lines and flushed the brake system.
15. Replaced brake proportioning and bypass valve.
16. Replaced missing hood pad on front of hard top.
17. Replaced missing rubber windshield pads on hood.

Overall, this is a very original and well preserved, low mileage, FJ40. Priced at $29,500 I am not making a dime. I probably have over $32K invested plus many hours of my time (I enjoyed every minute!).

To see all of the pictures go to:

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/jm...%20FJ40?page=1

If you have any questions or are interested in taking a look feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks.

John
Do you still have this rig???
Wondering if you are interested in selling your rear quarter panels??
I'm in IE SoCAL.
Thankk!

No. It's been sold. Good luck with your search.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom