1980 HJ45 Newbie Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked in the FAQ and had a couple questions. I just bought a 1980 HJ45 and wanted to change all the fluids out. This is my first diesel so please cut me a little slack. It has an H Engine in it.

Is there a recommended oil weight/brand for diesels?
I tried to find the oil filter part # but didn't see it in the oil filter thread so any help with that would be great?
Also, can you use Toyota red anti freeze in diesels?

Like I said I've never had a diesel before only a 2F. Thanks for the help.

You can use any good 10-40 diesel oil or even 20-50 in warmer climes.
I think most of us here swear by the red coolant for our diesels;)

Part numbers here ToyoDIY.com

and welcome to the forum.
Make sure you post up some pics:D

If you still have the oil cartridge where you just replace the element, then you should be able to use toyota part # 04152-46011. The fuel filter, if it is also the element in the glass bowl, is Toyota part # 04234-48012. I have been running Rotella straight 40 weight in mine, but im in S.Texas where it hardly ever gets below 50 degrees. You might try a multi weight oil, but stick with a good brand... Rotella or Dello.

By the way, welcome to the diesel club ! :flipoff2:
Post some pics of your HJ !

The H diesel will have that silly paper cartridge in the canister that's on the most insane of angles when changing filters, I've sourced an adaptor from a local company here in Australia so I can use a Z419 spin on filter, so that's a possibility. As for oil, use a good quality 15w-40 or similar.

Good luck finding the paper cartridge type oil filters here in the U.S. I think SOR might be the only place you can find them. I bought the last 8 that Toyota had in all of north America. You can find them on eBay cheap from Australia.

Converting to a spin-on filter would be a good idea. I plan to do it someday when I work my way through the oil filters I already have.

I think the fuel filters might cross to the same ones used on the 2H diesel. I can go fetch the part numbers if you need them.

SOR is going to end up being the only place you can find many parts for your engine in the U.S. I typically order most of my parts from Roodogs in AU through their eBay store. If they don't have it listed on eBay they can usually find it. (I bought a complete Mark's Tcase gear set from them for a huge savings over what Advance Adapters charages.)

I forgot to mention that if you're changing the oil you might want to consider going through a couple AutoRX treatment cycles. I did it on my H and it made a huge difference. I've had my H engine in different stages of disassembly a few times pre-treat and post AutoRX treatment. The stuff works and will remove a lot of the sludge that has built up over the years.

Thanks for the advice on the oil filters. That may help explain my next problem. I was checking the oil and it is was low. I have two issues: First being there's a leak somewhere on the back of the engine. Do H diesels have an area that commonly leak? I know my old F had a rear main seal that leaked. Also, when I checked the oil it was black and I mean black. I added some until I can find an oil filter and was wondering if it would be wise to drop the oil pan to clean out any sludge when I run the cleaner through it and replace the oil. What's the common opinion about that? Thanks for all the help.

Here's a couple pics for those who asked.
HJ45 1.jpg
HJ45 2.jpg
HJ45 3.jpg

I forgot to mention that if you're changing the oil you might want to consider going through a couple AutoRX treatment cycles. I did it on my H and it made a huge difference. I've had my H engine in different stages of disassembly a few times pre-treat and post AutoRX treatment. The stuff works and will remove a lot of the sludge that has built up over the years.

Diesel oil is black as black,quite normal. All engines that I have seen have a rear main seal. I would clean it down,warm it up and watch with a torch for fresh leakage.
Sludge is heavy and tends to stay put,wont hurt to leave it or remove it

Here's a couple pics for those who asked.

Thats a clean looking 45 and a nice canopy,they come in real handy;)
You might want to add it to the 45 series registry
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/138672-fj45-registry-6.html

The H diesel oil system design isn't that great. I tend to think that cleaning the sludge out of the engine would be a good thing. However, you don't want to use one of those 15 minute engine flush treatments. They can loosen up a ton of stuff very quickly and plug up oil galleys. AutoRX works slowly over the course of 5,000 miles or so.

I don't know if the rear main seal is a common leaky problem. I have seen seals that leak with synthetic oil that won't leak with regular dino oil. That might be something to try.

A good investment is a manual. Toyota Factory Manuals cannot be beat. I highly recommend getting one for your truck and engine. I was just on ebay Australia and saw two factory H series repair manuals. I don't think these are common and If I were you I'd buy them. I've seen a 2F engine factory manual go for well over 150$. I know if I bought my 2F manual at that price (even though mine came with my rig) I'd have paid it off ten fold by now.

That's why I buy most of my parts from RooDogs. They are super-easy to work with and have great prices. Airmail is typically two weeks for me from AU to Maine.

Nice rig!!! Mine is on it way over and I will need to do the same things you are doing too! will follow this thread!
lots of good info for newbies!

The H diesel will have that silly paper cartridge in the canister that's on the most insane of angles when changing filters, I've sourced an adaptor from a local company here in Australia so I can use a Z419 spin on filter, so that's a possibility. As for oil, use a good quality 15w-40 or similar.
Got link to this Adaptor or how to get such a thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom