For Sale 1980 BJ-40, 3B engine, turbo, full roll cage, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1980 BJ-40, 3B engine, turbo, sale or partial trade, NORCAL

Rare 1980 BJ-40, originally from Costa Rica. Non NA, Warm climate BJ-40 with no AC/heater and no amenities other than aftermarket stereo/seats. Designed by PO for safety and reliability. 3B diesel engine - originally a "b" type engine but replaced by PO to "3b", PO purchased 3b from company in Canada (unk. miles/km on engine when installed but known to last upwards of over 500k plus); owner installed Nissan turbo, custom aluminum (appears to be four core) radiator with thermostat controlled electric fan; 4 speed, 4wd, 12 volt, stock gears (i believe 4:11, no lockers), locking hubs, after market 4 wheel disc brakes w/large dual master w/booster, Iron pig off road skid plate (have original), Proffitt's Cruiser designed and installed full family roll cage (attached to the frame in four places) and rear tow bumper with tire/ hi-lift jack carrier; interior has sprayed in liner, aftermarket front seats with four point seat belt, original rear toyota jump type seats (not installed- have to adjust mounting due to full roll cage); runs great. ARB front bumper with Warn 8274-50 winch. Front turn signals were removed. Front LED turn signals are in the ARB bumper. Original miles (km speedometer) may be over 54, 000 km. Runs great. California registered and legal. PO had purchased BJ through importer in California. PO lived in NM. Also had been registered and titled in NM.

Body: original body, looks great but appeared to have been redone (body worked). Per PO bodywork probably done in Costa Rica. Body looks good. Has some areas that could be sanded down and smoothed over. Two front fenders have rust where side steps connect to the fenders. I have two good mid 70 era fenders, hood and grill that will go with the BJ-40. Roof is in great condition no rust through. Rain gutters are solid. D/P front doors are in great condition. Does not appear to have any body work. Very minor surface rust, if any under rubbers gasket. The ambulance doors are in great condition. The driver side has a dent on the exterior side toward the bottom. Overall body is great. Windshield is solid. Remember it is a 30 year old vehicle.

Tires are off brand 33x12.50x15 mud terrains with about 3/4 left. Rims are "Weld" rims 8x15". Tuffy center console. EGT/Boost and new water temp. gauge. Has rear engine seal seep. Horn/windshield washer container and emergency blinkers do not work.

Extras: Best top "sail cloth" full top. Power steering pump, gear box, pulley and brackets for 3B power steering. The rear parking brake, which is connected to the rear of the transfer case, works but is marginal at best. LC will come with the attached hi-lift jack.

The BJ-40 also has aftermarket leaf spring packs which lifts it about 2" to 2 1/2". There are "pro comp" shocks. There are braided (stainless steel?) brakelines at each caliper/disc brake. Stops very well. The 40 is no speed demon but can keep up with traffic (Especially with the turbo). Would probably have better acceleration and top speed with 4.56/4.88 gears or 30" to 31" size tires. Lots of low end torque. Also should note that the manual steering gear box seeps. I never worried about this because I was planning to eventually install power steering (p/s parts are included in the purchase of the BJ-40).
Priorities have changed and I want to modify my FZJ-80 instead. Not desperate. Just an extra, unique vehicle.

Additional extras: For full price it includes: H55F and transfer case for Toyota diesel B series engine. New clutch/disc kit. Special rear brake drum for back of transfer case so rear brake works better. (Also may be taking off the hardtop to put on the soft top for the summer.)

Have additional photos. Please email to: kz195688@yahoo.com Thanks.

$18,500.00/ OBO or trade plus cash
DSC00689.jpg
DSC00691.jpg
DSC00737.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with the others. I would be tempted to pay you $15000 IF it was bone stock and had a documented history.

That said, you have a rare vehicle. the lack of heat makes it a no go for me as Utah has brutal winters.

Good luck to you, I have been trying to sell a D60 Corp 14 combo for over 6 months at $700.00 for the pair with not one call.

BTT

BTT, please. Yes, don't have maintenance records. Probably somewhere in Costa Rica someone has them. Have all receipts for everything else done when purchased from the importer. Have receipts from 4WD.com out of Canada for the 3B and H55F. Anyone interested? I'm sure the next owner will be very happy with the BJ-40 and all the extra parts. Of course, I could be wrong.;)

condition

Unk. miles per liter/gallon. I don't drive it around much. Blows some black smoke if it sits for a few weeks. Not bad if I start it everyday. Unfortunately, it is not my daily vehicle and I don't have the time to drive it around. Still trying to find optimal power and fuel adjustment. Sorry if I don't have the hard fast answers on vehicle. More of an hobby. Bought to work on and eventually cruise across country, hitting all the four wheeling areas. Well, I'm going across country but in my FZJ-80. :p

I've known the seller for the last 10 years and he's a solid guy who discloses everything and will be straight with the facts.

I sold him my 1981 SR-5 4wd pickup a few years ago, and I also sold him my 1966 FJ40 soon after. He sold me his built 1995 4Runner SR-5. He's a guy who will negotiate and take reasonable offers. I know, since I've had 3 transactions with him. He's a good friend too.

I was thinking about picking up this rig as it would make an awesome surf rig, as it should get 25-35 mpg depending on tires and gear ratios. I drove the truck today with the turbo and the 4 speed and it drove nice. It also has Recaro seats and multipoint seatbelts.

Why am I going to pass on this rig? Well, I want it, but I'm 6'5" and 270 lb. As such, driving this rig on multiday surf trips with 3 boys would be a little crowded. It's tough for me to work the clutch with the stock steering wheel, but I could modify it with a smaller wheel and stock seats.

I'm a wagon guy in general, but I am seriously lusting after this rig. It will make a nice addition to someone's collection to be sure.

For what it is worth I am the previous owner of this rig and if I had the money would love to buy it back. That said I do not have any money. Last I drove it with a newly installed 3B from NM to CA it drove great. I would be happy to field any questions to help KZ out if anyone has any for me. Send me a PM. I am not on here as often as I used to be so be patient I will get back to you.

KZ sorry to see it going so soon!

BTT

Tank5 and White Shark thank you. I know it will sell, just need the right buyer. May be selling the BJ without parts and accessories would be the other option. BTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom