1980 20R engine rookie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1980 pickup that sat for a couple years due to over heating issues. I assumed a bad head gasket so I replaced that in Feb of this year but couldn't get it started after I put everything back together. Ooops. So I took it into a shop that restores older cars in March. Looks like installed somethign incorrectly. While they had it I had them replace: the carb with a Weber Redline, water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plugs. Now I am starting to notice a gas smell in my oil. The first inline spark plug is getting fouled up with black stuff. The car does put out smoke but tends to fade when driven longer. I have to clean it off every so often to get the car started.
So my question is how do I know if I am getting to much fuel due to improper carb install or if I have a piston seal issue?

20210807_135926.jpg

20220613_095857.jpg

20220613_095906.jpg

Do you have a fuel pressure regulator, webbers need a specific pressure to run properly, 5 psi I think. Without one you will get to much gas

Do you have a fuel pressure regulator, webbers need a specific pressure to run properly, 5 psi I think. Without one you will get to much gas
I would recommend 3 psi. It’s probably best to get the regulator and a gauge so you know exactly what pressure you are providing. Here is my setup as an example. I’m running the Weber 32/36.

FFC3EDCA-EDFA-4F6C-8498-8A0F68CAEF4B.jpeg

Thank you both Mr Clean and Travis 76!! I never would have figured that out. I looked over the engine and didn't see anything that appeared to be a regulator. I assumed the "professionals" would have known to put that in. Now there is hope that this engine will operate correctly.

unnamed.jpg

Weber.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom