SOLD 1979 FJ40, Houston Texas (price drop) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Offering up my 1979 FJ40 that I’ve owned since 2007. Purchased in Santa Fe, New Mexico and has lived in Houston Texas since then. Was in storage from 2008-2014 while I was living in Canada. Has original 2F engine and only mod I’ve made since owning her was OME suspension. She’s mechanically sound and purrs like a kitten, only needs some cancer treatment in the usual areas: front floorboard, lower doors and back. I’ve done the following to her in the last 2-4 years:

OME suspensión
Replaced Brake booster (rebuilt by SOR)
Replaced master cylinder and slave
Rebuilt carburetor
Replaced rear main seal, no oil leaks now
Replaced clutch

Asking: $16,000, now dropped to $14,000.

Let me know if you have any questions or want additional photos?

Thanks,

9A21288C-F926-4B53-8692-39617CB625CD.jpeg

50CCE506-C0C9-47FD-9A48-471ECE4D5ADC.jpeg

055E6FAC-7CD7-495C-923B-0601B927BFBE.jpeg

BC7AC84A-217A-4CDC-A994-821124CEA1C5.jpeg

E774EE41-C4B2-4229-9C9C-AEC8DD9E7423.jpeg

Last edited:
Replaced clutch
Sure, what details would you like to know? Thanks
Hi, my sister lives in the woodlands so this might actually work for me. I think you mentioned you are asking 16k and it is a 1979 FJ40. I am potentially willing to pay approximately 13-16k based on the pictures i have seen thus far but I want to ask a few questions and I need to budget for shipping to Salt Lake City.

1) is it to your knowledge original paint? the pictures show rust in the typical spots but I am wondering if it has ever been repainted and there is potentially more rust in spots I can't see in the pictures. I have owned 2 fj40's so I get it, rust is inevitable with these, I am just trying to assess its status and if it would need a new tub or just spot welds/repairs

2) is it currently street legal and licensed in Texas? Most importantly, is all the smog equipment still on it? Utah has strict emissions laws because the air pollution get really bad in the winter. From my understanding if smog equipment is missing it is really hard to source/replace.

3) Would it be possible to get a picture of the metal placard on the firewall inside the engine bay? I want to research the vin number, color code, and trim code.

All of the above is assuming it is still for sale! By the way, that is great you have an FJ45, those must be really fun too.

Thanks, Bryan Keith

2) is it currently street legal and licensed in Texas? Most importantly, is all the smog equipment still on it? Utah has strict emissions laws because the air pollution get really bad in the winter. From my understanding if smog equipment is missing it is really hard to source/replace.

FYI anything 30 years or older is eligible for an antique plate in Utah.

Hi, my sister lives in the woodlands so this might actually work for me. I think you mentioned you are asking 16k and it is a 1979 FJ40. I am potentially willing to pay approximately 13-16k based on the pictures i have seen thus far but I want to ask a few questions and I need to budget for shipping to Salt Lake City.

1) is it to your knowledge original paint? the pictures show rust in the typical spots but I am wondering if it has ever been repainted and there is potentially more rust in spots I can't see in the pictures. I have owned 2 fj40's so I get it, rust is inevitable with these, I am just trying to assess its status and if it would need a new tub or just spot welds/repairs

3) Would it be possible to get a picture of the metal placard on the firewall inside the engine bay? I want to research the vin number, color code, and trim code.

All of the above is assuming it is still for sale! By the way, that is great you have an FJ45, those must be really fun too.

Thanks, Bryan Keith
Hey Bryan,
I actually grew up in The Woodlands and my mom is still living there in Grogan’s Mill subdivision near Lamar Elementary. My family and I are out there all the time, it’s about 45 min drive from where we live currently. So happy to take a drive out there if your sister would like to take a look...in fact looking for any excuse to get out there cruising. Of course will social distance and take all necessary precautions.

I’m very sure it’s original paint, however as you can see there was some rust work done in the back (white patches) but steel was used. I was in the same boat about welding in replacement floor panels vs. entire tub replacement. I cannot weld, thought about learning, but my opinion all it would take is welding those panels in and it would be good. It’s really solid apart form the passenger floor board, which you can see holes in the photos.

Yep, Currently running, street legal and licensed in Texas. In fact I’m driving it now on the weekends as I’m working from home due to COVID/my office closure. looks like all smog equipment is there, I haven’t touched it, but based on the detailed photo there is one vacuum hose that’s missing...was like this when I purchased.

attaching photo of the plate in engine bay for your reference.

happy to help answer any other questions you have or take more photos, even videos of running etc just let me know?

thanks,
David

E426504E-84E3-4394-8D79-0A2983EEFB77.jpeg

9D11F172-0911-46FE-B772-3090AE03D4D5.jpeg

A8C38CB6-B87E-43BD-8065-8899DE851046.jpeg

584D7A0E-023F-46A4-BB89-17D8760EDFF3.jpeg

245C1B92-9A97-4FF3-9945-A17286CF87E7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom