1978 FJ40 won't idle...where to go from here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1978 FJ40 started acting funny a few months back. It had an intermittent issue where it would run fine (both at speed and at idle) and then out of nowhere, stall out at idle (when pulling up to a stop light). I was able to compensate by using the choke cable to raise the idle and it would stay running. Yesterday, the problem got really bad and the truck finally died. I spent most of today trying to start it. It will fire right up on the choke but die after 5 secs. I checked the fuel pump and it it getting fuel to the carb and from the return line (?). The float level is right in the middle of the glass and remains constant. I was able to get it started and keep it running on carb cleaner but it would die right out when I stopped spraying it in. Any ideas on other things to check? The truck has it's original engine and original carb (with some of the smog stuff removed by the original owner). It has run fine for years and this is the first issue I've really had with it. Thanks in advance!

When you turn the key to the ON position you should hear the solenoid click.

If not the solenoid, check for a major vacuum leak. You could have a leak in your brake booster, being that it died when applying the brake. Is your foot on the brake when you are starting it now? Just thinking out loud...

Pulled and checked the idle solenoid - working. Used some gumout to clean out the ports and also the carb body idle passages. Runs great! Thanks for the advice!! :)

Or have Jim Chenowith, @FJ40Jim rebuild and flow test your OEM carb, sent mine off my '78 to him and it runs like new. I was having the same type of issues as you describe.................Jim is the man! Now I may have him recurve my dizzy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom