For Sale 1978 FJ40 - The Legend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1978 FJ40 - The Legend SOLD SOLD SOLD

This is a very well maintained 1978 Toyota Landcruiser with lots of upgrades while maintaining an "original" look and feel. The intent was to present the truck as a period expedition vehicle and it's well on it's way to becoming such. I hate to sell this....but personal circumstances force me to look seriously at parting with it.
The truck has a clean and clear title and it will be provided to the purchaser. It is not California Emissions compliant at this point, though it could be brought to that for about $1500-$2000. My intent was at some point to put in a 1HD-T Diesel in the truck, but it's just not feasible with my current circumstance. As long as I've owned it, I've religiously changed my oil every 2500 miles period. I run Synthetic Royal Purple 20-50 in it. I've always felt that it performed better than any of the dino oils.
As stated...this rig is 35 years old and one of the best (i suppose I'm biased) examples of a truck that has been looked after and still used. It has never been abused. Whoever gets this truck will have a turn key fun ride that will give them years of enjoyment. This is one of the most desirable years to own.

Truck come with the DiamondRax roof rack specifically made for the Cascadia Vehicle Tent "Mt. Shasta" as shown in the pictures. This tent is brand new and never been slept in, it has the black cover and orange logo. The RTT also has the Annex, Awning and Awning screened in room included in the sale price as shown in the pictures on the beach. I am not willing to separate these items from the truck

Front bumper is Hell For Stout with an original Warn 8274 winch included. The winch also has a well functioning remote and pulls like a champ.

22 Gallon Auxiliary tank with locking cap.
Hi Lift jack with FJ locking knob on it.
Axe and shovel mount on roof rack with locking knobs

Pioneer Stereo with Bluetooth and 2 Focal speakers mounted in the rear

Original side mounted rear jump seats with original Toyota seatbelts. No tears in the seats.

New rear door seals

No rust in the floors, fenders are solid, quarter panels are solid. Driver door has one rust pit that is easily repaired. Rear sill has very minor rust pitting. Frame is solid with no rust. Overall the truck has it's own patina that adds to it's ruggedness. Someone else may not like it, but for me it adds to it's authenticity.

New window felts and regulators and door panels
Wipers work as does the water squirter.
Door locks all work well

Windshield - just got a vertical crack in it........grrrrrr. Got hit by a bolt on the freeway 3 months ago. All other glass is original and without cracks
New heater core both in front and in the rear heater. No leaks and heats well. Both speeds work on the knob. Additionally the dash has the (what I've been told) the seemingly rare side defroster vents for the side windows.

New 4 core radiator a year ago. New alternator a year ago.

Rear bumper has two swing outs.....one for the spare tire (new) and one for the fuel/cooler carrier. This is a very well made bumper purchased from ManaFre about a year and a half ago. Purchaser will also receive the 3 NATO fuel cans pictured as part of the purchase price.

Tires are 33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains with about 9K miles on them. The spare is brand new and never run.

Trailer lights hookup for both 4 pin flat and the standard round plug. Professionally done and fully functional

Ball joints and tie rod ends have been replaced about 12K miles ago.
New HD OME Dakar leafs (purchased from ARB) all around with Bilstein shocks and grease-able shackles all around as well. This has really improved the ride and handling of the truck. It has an excellent ride. There is no power steering installed.

The entire power train is in excellent condition with very minor leaks indicative of it's age. Transmission and transfer case are all sound as are the differentials. It has the factory 4:11 gears. With the 33" tires I have no problem cruising indefinitely at 60 down the freeway and would not hesitate taking it on any road-trip. It's rarely been above that...I baby this thing.
Front disk brakes and drum brakes in the rear. All in great condition and about 10K miles on both.

All gauges original and working. All knobs on the dash present and working as well.

The engine is the original 2F and I replaced the head on it about 1 1/2 years ago. The head was purchased from Marks Off Road in California and performs very well. Compression on all cylinders is between 150 -160.

It also has the upgraded HEI electronic ignition along with 2 Odyssey deep cycle batteries. Plenty of amps for both running the winch or anything else you might connect to it. I have a power inverter under the passenger seat in case you want to charge items, or blow up air mattresses, TV or whatever.

The interior front seats have been re upholstered with a kit from CCOT (cool cruisers of texas). Additionally I sound deadened the interior floor with matting from Rock Audio and put in an extremely well made/tailor carpeting kit (black). The truck is so much quieter now and really enjoyable to talk with someone in while puttering around the mountains.

I've also added an upper shelf above the dash to carry the CB (included) for storage and whatever else you might find a use for.

The intent was to make this a true representation of a period expedition truck and is well on it's way to become so. Personal circumstances force me to sell my dream fun truck. If I could I would keep it.
Price is $15,750 OBO.

Serious inquiries only please. The truck is in San Diego and I am available to show the truck and even unfold the RTT, however the pictures pretty much say it all.
Please reply to this ad with a PM and I'll forward my phone# to arrange a viewing and test drive if you're in the area.

Pictures can be seen here and I will add more over the weekend, time permitting. Copy and paste the link below to view pictures of the vehicle.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5-BqAfGOF-3ZlRXaFdPdkRzVUk&usp=sharing

Last edited:
Wow, sorry you have to sell this rig... What a beauty...!! GLWS for sure.!! Someone is going to get an excellent setup for a great price!!

Yes the truck is still available and all PM's have been answered. My apologies for the delay in a timely response.....unforeseen family matters that required some immediate attention kept me from being on top of the discussion here.

I will be adding some additional photos of the interior and the engine bay tomorrow evening (Wed).

By way of information the odometer shows around 42K miles. I'll verify tomorrow. In the interest of full disclosure the odometer wasn't working when I got the truck, I don't know for how long and do not know what the true mileage is. Given the condition and strength of the truck I would like to believe that it has close to that on it. However given it's age.....I would suspect that it could have also turned over once or had the speedo replaced. I just don't know.

Lastly, there is NO BONDO on this truck. The dimples seen over the rear wheel wells are original manufacturing marks. A question has been raised as to if there is bondo showing under the rear gas door in one of the photos. That is a combination of surface flash rust, primer and paint that has been melted by gasoline overfill. I've sanded and painted it once with a rattle can but rattle can paint for the most part doesn't fare well with gas soaking over it.

I am happy to field any sincere interest with a phone call. PM me your number and I'll send you mine and we can talk. Thanks again for your interest.

I'd say based on these pictures someones going to be getting a very good deal. GLWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom