For Sale 1978 FJ-40 in Big Pine, CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD
For Sale: 1978 FJ40 in good condition with 157,000 miles.
Dan 760-887-9273. $7,500 obo.
History I purchased this vehicle from a lady in Bishop, Ca. She owned and drove this vehicle between Bishop and Mammoth, CA (no road salt) for approximately 15 years. She informed me the vehicle originally came from Southern California (no proof).
Condition The overall condition of this Cruiser is very good as it is not all hacked up and has minimal rust. The exterior paint is in bad condition and has surface rust. I found rust in the bed underneath the bed mat and treated the area with Rust Bullet rust inhibiting paint. There is also a spot of rust on the rear sill under the tailgate. This FJ is mostly stock and includes many extras.
Drivetrain The stock six cylinder engine is mated to the stock four speed tranz and stock transfer case. The axles are stock with new brakes front and rear. The FJ includes new pads, rotors, shoes, hardware, front brake lines, and rear brake line. I rebuilt the front knuckles including new knuckle bearings, wheel bearings, grease, and related knuckle and hub seals. I am a mechanic and worked as a Toyota mechanic from 1985 to 1990, so this isn’t a shade tree job. The parking brake shoes are new and I had the transfer tail shaft housing machined to accept two output shaft seals to correct leakage at this location. I have the original leaf springs (they go with the FJ) but I installed a complete heavy duty set of Old Man Emu 4” springs to fit TSL SuperSwamper 32x9.50-15LT’s on chrome FJ60 stock wheels. The suspension upgrade includes Old Man Emu shock absorbers. The new suspension and tires have maybe 1,500 miles.
Engine I jumped through some hoops to have this truck California smogged in 2008. The engine was running very rich and I installed a new (reman?) factory Aisin carburetor (from Specter, $525 ouch!!) to fix this and pass the smog inspection. All necessary smog equipment is included in the sale except for the exhaust thermal reactor. These are no longer available and it is my understanding that they are exempted on the CA smog test. The buyer of this vehicle will be responsible for the registration required emissions test!
Body The body is fairly straight but the exterior needs paint. The front seats are stock but badly need to be reupholstered. The rear seats are included but both seat frames are broken and need to be welded. The seatbelts need to be replaced due to age and UV degradation. The Cruiser has a Bikini top, a BesTop soft top (with an extra new-in-box [NIB] soft top), and the factory hard top (disassembled, no headliner) with rear ambulance doors. The soft top is currently installed with a Cool Cruisers solid non-hinged tailgate. The truck has the stock front doors. I installed a new latch and door weather seal to eliminate rattles on the passenger door. A new latch and weather seal for the driver’s door is included (not installed). The factory roll bar is in the FJ.

I can take more pictures by request.
FJ40 front 3-12-16.jpg
Fj40 rear 3-12-16.jpg

EXTRAS
1. NIB Man-A Fre power steering kit ($1,400). Includes everything except belt and power steering fluid. Welding required.
2. NIB Front spring shackle reversal brackets ($235). Welding required.
3. NIB extra BesTop soft top (fabric and windows, no frame).
4. Stock rear heater/fan unit (not installed).
5. Factory service manuals.
6. NIB front Ford shock mounts (bolt on for front, not installed).
7. Spector heavy duty spring shackles front and rear (installed).
8. New front and rear turn/tail/brake lamp lenses (installed).
Two extra stock carburetors are included.

Last edited:
Hobbs is a stand up guy. I was 2nd in line offering more than what the first guy offered and he accepted. He stuck with what he told the first guy he would take.

It's going to a good home and will be taken care of or I will kill the new owner and he knows it ;).
A good friend of mine had been looking for a really long time and when I saw this one I told him this was the one and he jumped on it thank goodness.
He's new to mud but really excited about his new purchase.

Ditto about Hobbs. I was 4th and also offered more than 1st offer. I'm new on MUD also and I hope my 1st fj40 or fj55 comes from a MUDDER.

Wow,do t no where I was in line but I made a nice offer as well, looks to be a great truck. Congratulations to the new owner.

It's going to a good home and will be taken care of or I will kill the new owner and he knows it ;).
A good friend of mine had been looking for a really long time and when I saw this one I told him this was the one and he jumped on it thank goodness.
He's new to mud but really excited about his new purchase.
Very happy to hear this upperblack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom