Wanted 1975 or later project FJ40 with original hardtop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Hi everyone!

After missing that absolute beauty Greasyfingers posted, my desire for a project 40 is officially here to stay. I hope this great community might be able to help me find something similar - perhaps from your personal relationships, your garages and back yards, or from some corner of the internet I haven't already scoured!

What I'm looking for:
As the title suggests, ideally I'd like to find a 1975 or later FJ40 with the original top and ambulance doors, and a body that is in decent shape - not too much rust - a patch or two on the rear quarter panel isn't a deal breaker. I've never done fab/welding work (and don't have the tooling for it) so I don't feel comfortable taking on a project that needs a lot of body work. It would be nice if the rig also had decent paint, although it's not a requirement - patina is fine. I definitely don't want a "pig in makeup" as this community calls them! Really, I'm looking for a project cruiser that's not too much of a project for a newbie and a former aerospace engineer(my father). Mechanical issues we can manage - not so sure about body stuff. Also, I'm looking for something with Toyota internals only.

What I don't need:
The engine and other mechanical aspects do not need to be in working order, nor does it need to have aftermarket suspension or anything fancy. I'm happy building it out. I also don't need it to be local to me. For the right find, I'm willing to go pick up or have it shipped from anywhere in the country.

Why:
My dad's health is deteriorating quickly. Several years ago, when I was graduating from school, him and I bought a Jeep with a blown motor and we revived it. It was a great experience to share. I don't think he will be able to do that kind of thing for much longer, so I want to buy a fun project car that will mean something for him and I both and be a chance for him and I to connect and spend time together - he's a workaholic who thrives on responsibility, is retired military and I think feels he's lost purpose now that all of us kids have moved on and he's no longer working. I think this would give him some purpose again in some way, and it would be a great memory for me in the future.

Cost:
Of course this will vary based on the rig, but I'd like to not spend more than 15K - not this high for a more problematic truck, but perhaps for something mostly sorted out.

I'd be grateful if you just kept me in the back of your mind as you do your own searching, and drop anything here or PM me if you think something might be a good fit. Let me know what you've got!

Thanks ya'll,
Drew

Last edited:
In my experience - High ask and little info = don't waste your time!

There's been some good ones posted in past 12 weeks that I've seen. Be ready to move on them, usually they won't be local to you.

Like this one, it's an 81 but there are issues. Might be worth a call as he sold 1 already maybe this one will drop in price with a good approach - 1981 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

You're right Oakweb, the owner is flexible on this one, maybe not flexible enough.

If at all possible, take someone with you who knows more about 40's than you do. I've seen this one in person, albeit just for a few minutes since we were there for the White one he sold. There's a great deal of questions with this one from the brief look over we gave it.

My buddy is willing to spend a fair amount of money for the right 40 in White, but his knowledge of what to look for is limited. I don't know as much as most on here but what I saw on both of this sellers 40's made us drive away empty handed, but with a full wallet.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

After missing that absolute beauty Greasyfingers posted, my desire for a project 40 is officially here to stay. I hope this great community might be able to help me find something similar - perhaps from your personal relationships, your garages and back yards, or from some corner of the internet I haven't already scoured!

What I'm looking for:
As the title suggests, ideally I'd like to find a 1975 or later FJ40 with the original top and ambulance doors, and a body that is in decent shape - not too much rust - a patch or two on the rear quarter panel isn't a deal breaker. I've never done fab/welding work (and don't have the tooling for it) so I don't feel comfortable taking on a project that needs a lot of body work. It would be nice if the rig also had decent paint, although it's not a requirement - patina is fine. I definitely don't want a "pig in makeup" as this community calls them! Really, I'm looking for a project cruiser that's not too much of a project for a newbie and a former aerospace engineer(my father). Mechanical issues we can manage - not so sure about body stuff. Also, I'm looking for something with Toyota internals only.

What I don't need:
The engine and other mechanical aspects do not need to be in working order, nor does it need to have aftermarket suspension or anything fancy. I'm happy building it out. I also don't need it to be local to me. For the right find, I'm willing to go pick up or have it shipped from anywhere in the country.

Why:
My dad's health is deteriorating quickly. Several years ago, when I was graduating from school, him and I bought a Jeep with a blown motor and we revived it. It was a great experience to share. I don't think he will be able to do that kind of thing for much longer, so I want to buy a fun project car that will mean something for him and I both and be a chance for him and I to connect and spend time together - he's a workaholic who thrives on responsibility, is retired military and I think feels he's lost purpose now that all of us kids have moved on and he's no longer working. I think this would give him some purpose again in some way, and it would be a great memory for me in the future.

Cost:
Of course this will vary based on the rig, but I'd like to not spend more than 15K - not this high for a more problematic truck, but perhaps for something mostly sorted out.

I'd be grateful if you just kept me in the back of your mind as you do your own searching, and drop anything here or PM me if you think something might be a good fit. Let me know what you've got!

Thanks ya'll,
Drew
I may have what you're looking for. Give a buzz! Greg in CT 2039135924

Thanks for all of the input folks. I'll contact the owner and see what info I can gather on the blue one, but from the sound of 777Gage's experience, it's not likely a good option, especially at the current ask. I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks Greg. Will reach out again if I'm looking for a core!

I posted my 75 FJ40 on ebay the other day, she needs some lipstick but at 45 she has her wrinkles and needs some body work. doors have rust and a spot on the hood needs to be fixed. Just posted a link on the forum, take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom