For Sale 1971 FJ-40, Colorado not mine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Outside Link
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/71-toyota-fj-40.1655403/
Not mine, no affiliation. Saw it on another forum I frequent (advrider). OP is a member here as well @Nailhead but was having trouble posting up. Contact him with interest

Longmont, CO
Price: 8000
Link to ADV: For sale - '71 Toyota FJ-40 - https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/71-toyota-fj-40.1655403/
Link to build thread:
From ADV ad: (more pics in ad and build thread)
Located in Longmont, CO
$8000
TMU

Consult my build thread in Shiny Things for details, but the short version is this: this FJ was a buddy's daily driver in the Denver area for several years, so it's rusty. It then sat for over 20 years until another buddy & I rehabbed it for sale.

The good:
- Four speed floor shift transmission and lever-shift transfer case conversion. Dru (PO) had this done in the mid-'90's, and, while it works well enough, the holes cut for the levers in the tunnel cover are a hack job.
- New Specter Offroad brake wheel cylinders all around, all 8 of them. The brakes were then adjusted to provide a one-push stop, and are the best brakes of any vehicle I've ever owned.
- New OEM brake and clutch master cylinders.
- New Gates water pump.
- New fuse panel. The fuse contacts on the old one would break off if you looked at them wrong, so out it went.
- Rust-free take-off front fenders.
- New front signal/marker lights. The old ones were attached to rusted metal with rusted nuts, and so could not be reused when we replaced the front fenders.
- Conferr rear bench seat with lockable storage.
- Fuel tank cleaned. No rust found.
- Crane Fireball electronic ignition. Starts almost instantly.
- Electric fuel pump installed to replace defective mechanical one. If you're wondering why we didn't just install a new mechanical pump, price one at sor.com. Old pump included in sale.
- New manifold gasket.
- Extra set of doors. They're less rusty than the ones on the vehicle, but they have issues of their own so we didn't install them.
- Extra set of front side panels, the ones above the fenders.
- Various new & used parts included.
- Runs well, accelerates quicker than I remember. I forgot how fun a big straight six can be.
- Clean title.

The bad:
- Rust in several places, including the frame diagonal braces at the back. I'll post pix that will show the locations more clearly.
- Rear transfer case seal leaks. I didn't dig into this because I don't have a service manual and wasn't sure what I'd be getting into.
- Heater blower switches don't work. These are NLA, so I figured I'd let the new owner decide how best to rectify the problem.
- White front fenders. It doesn't present real well with these, but they're rust-free and the old red ones weren't.
- White 16" wheels. Dru got the idea in his head he had to have 16's, so he got these. The stockers are long gone.
- Spare wheel disappeared. No idea where it went.
- Helper springs on all four corners. Rides like a tractor.
- Idle speed: it randomly varies between nothing and 1500 RPM. I've tried getting it straightened out a number of times, but my enthusiasm for working on this thing is barely detectable at the best of times, so there ya go...
- Turn signals don't cancel.
- Seats need new upholstery. All of them.
- No head liner.
- Cracked rear side window.
- Various dents & dings including a bent front bumper.

This is not suitable for a fly-&-drive because of the t-case leak, and the fact that it's summer and FJ-40's are ovens in the summertime. It is perfectly happy doing short trips toodling around town and is fun to drive in that context just as long as the road is smooth, it's not too hot out, and there are only two of you (I can't for the life of me remember how we ever got in the back of these things way back when).

If this doesn't get much of a response here, I'm going to post it on CL. It will have "For Sale" signs in it starting today, though. Also, I leave for work the weekend of 7/8, so the sale will effectively be suspended for two weeks at that point. I'll be happy to answer questions, but that's about all I'll be able to do.

Pix to follow, I wasn't going to type this whole thing on my phone. Typing on a full-size keyboard is hard enough.

Thanks for looking.

1688041036369.jpeg

1688041051442.jpeg

1688041096104.jpeg

1688041124063.jpeg

Still available according to the adv ad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom