1969 fj40 3fe cylinder head on 2f block project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: Im checking the posibility to improve the ecu to a fueltech ft450, in order to put to work the wideband real time mix fixing, better ECU pedal reaction time, Engine start, etc. Ill be posting how it goes.....

Great tech, cool truck and clean work!

I'm going to be running those same tires with my 2F but geeze less than 76HP sounds so anemic in comparison to the engines in modern vehicles.
hehehehe, yes, i mean, ive got a lot of hp for an old 40 engine, but in comparison with modern days engines its so litte. the thing is that the torque is available from the begining of the curve, and it has lots of torque :)

I'm running a '78 40; 2Fe with 3fe ECU, H41 on 35" tires. Bottom end is balanced and has a cam. Intake polished and ported. Have an 80 series air intake installed above and behind the battery. Did not have to cut the hood. Credit for making this happen goes to Kevin Patterson ( Tools r us) and John Brinker (ink pot). Puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Wheel it and has lots of torque. On the road - 80 mph and I still have pedal. Milage varies from 10 to 15 mpg. Hard not to drive fast on Arizona's freeways. You will get pushed around otherwise.

Keep us posted on your progress. You are going to enjoy your rig.
wooow! those are great results! did u change the gears?

I am looking at doing something similar, 3F intake on a 2F. What components did you have to buy?
Hey man, well the list is long.

First of all it will depend if u want a perfect fit between the cyl head and the intake. As and advise change the 2f cl head for the 3fe cyl head in order to have a perfect fit. Then u will have to buy the 3fe intake mainfold. If you are going to use a pragramable ECU, u will have to buy high impedance injectors. If not, the stock low impedance injectors will work just fine. The set up of the ECU will depend in how much u want to control from the engine. I did install a wide band to control the mix in real time. But generaly you will need: The ECU, Fuel preassure regulator, injectors, fuel lines, fuel pump, electric harness, crankshaft position sensor, O2 sensor, map sensor, TPS sensor, IAC valve, wideband CO2 sensor.

Do you know some one whose done this kind of conversions?

Hey man, well the list is long.

First of all it will depend if u want a perfect fit between the cyl head and the intake. As and advise change the 2f cl head for the 3fe cyl head in order to have a perfect fit. Then u will have to buy the 3fe intake mainfold. If you are going to use a pragramable ECU, u will have to buy high impedance injectors. If not, the stock low impedance injectors will work just fine. The set up of the ECU will depend in how much u want to control from the engine. I did install a wide band to control the mix in real time. But generaly you will need: The ECU, Fuel preassure regulator, injectors, fuel lines, fuel pump, electric harness, crankshaft position sensor, O2 sensor, map sensor, TPS sensor, IAC valve, wideband CO2 sensor.

Do you know some one whose done this kind of conversions?
Thanks for the prompt reply. I purchased a local kit here in Bogota, Colombia with the 3F manifold. All the injectors are connected via the same wires to a GM ECU. No crankshaft positioning sensor. Signal derived from the distributor. What company did you purchase your parts from for your conversion?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I purchased a local kit here in Bogota, Colombia with the 3F manifold. All the injectors are connected via the same wires to a GM ECU. No crankshaft positioning sensor. Signal derived from the distributor. What company did you purchase your parts from for your conversion?
I´ve tryed some of those kits sold in bogota colombia in some of my builds. they are made by Ricardo and his father (great people). Their kits work just fine. I really like them. ive tried the single injector TBI and the 3f manifold, both with the gm ECU and everything worked well. Easy to install, no rocket sience on them (and i like a lot that part). On my personal build i wanted to push it a little more. I did it with Mecafast RT, they are a car racing team and builders. And seriously after all i´ve done on mine, yes its got a bit better response on altitude changes because of the wideband sensor and other faculties that my ECU has. But if im to do it again, probably i would go with one of ricardos kits. Less complex, i bit less HP and torque than my build, but seriously the extra work ive done its not really that well rewarded.

@gom2109
Question - or anybody that can help me out lol

I got complete motors from a fj60(2F) and a fj62(3fe) with a bad block … I want to know if I can do the same set up and put the 3fe head on the 2F block

@gom2109

I got complete motors from a fj60(2F) and a fj62(3fe) with a bad block … I want to know if I can do the same set up and put the 3fe head on the 2F block
Short answer: YES!

Long answer is waaaaay longer and requires lots of searching. It’s not just “bolt on the 3FE head to the 2F and and bingo bango bongo”.

Short answer: YES!

Long answer is waaaaay longer and requires lots of searching. It’s not just “bolt on the 3FE head to the 2F and and bingo bango bongo”.
lol
I got time and a shop with enough tools for the job

can you get a list of things I need to be on the lookout for so I can try to get started

Thank you in advance 😬

lol
I got time and a shop with enough tools for the job

can you get a list of things I need to be on the lookout for so I can try to get started

Thank you in advance 😬
A donor 62.

@gom2109

Hi man, fast answer, yes!!!!!!!!! thats what i did 2f block with 3fe cyl head. Dont be afraid the 3fe cyl head will fit perfectly on the 2f block. Perfect fit! you wont need to do any machinery to make it fit or anything like that, just swap it, screw the bolts, and job done!

Updating the process, i mounted the wide band clock to check the mix in real time while driving. and updated de ECU from the fueltech 300 to fueltech 450, faster processor, corrects by o2 sensor the mix, everything works better.
reloj WB.jpg

WB reloj.jpg

another update, i rebuild and fix de damper crank pulley, it wasnt align, so the teth wheel was wobbling around and the crank position sensor wasnt working well.

polea.jpg

I mounted an electric fan that it is going to be managed by the ECU, i had to do some tweks because the space was to narrow, but at the end everything worked well.

rad 2.jpg

rad.jpg

IMG_9428.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

IMG_9423.jpeg

Last edited:
I prefer mechanical fans. You will find that in high temperature settings the mechanical fan will outperform the electric one. Not worth the small bit of performance enhancement an electric fan will yield. What is the main reason you went to electric fan?

I prefer mechanical fans. You will find that in high temperature settings the mechanical fan will outperform the electric one. Not worth the small bit of performance enhancement an electric fan will yield. What is the main reason you went to electric fan?
well that depends on the setting. Youll have to make a radiator focuser if you want the electric one to work just fine. Ill be posting photos of my set up. I did the upgrade because i built a good radiator focuser and set up, and because i wanted the ECU to have control on everything. I also put a manual switch to tha fan in case that i entered a river or a deep mudd hole.

Updating the fan and radiator set up! and the crank teethwheel and crank sensor upgrade.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom