1966 LV “Operation Yellow Submarine back on the road” (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good news! After a little over a year of figuring it out got the original F135 with Man a fre header intake carb combo purring! Was quite the battle but finally figured it out. Had a 3 year only Rochester 2g from the early 60’s. The Accelerator pump is a hard to find one with a built in check ball. All the kits I got had wrong pump. Now dialed in with the correct spark plugs, rebuilt distributor, rebuilt carb, timing, dwell etc set to spec. So excited to be able to move forward now. Hopefully paint interior (home style😜) with cans of Cygnus white and upholstery. Might leave outside patina and get as much primer off and get to what’s left of the orig paint. Slow process but it’s coming off.
AE15C623-F2DC-47ED-AFEA-F8003D141DB6.jpeg
F9B33A11-DBE0-41EF-B4AA-2A6416BFA83F.jpeg
7C8D458F-9295-4048-A280-5EACFB890452.jpeg
2700FFD8-6CD4-4A33-841B-7E84C43F6DEA.jpeg

Progress! Removed and Dropped off seats and door cards at upholstery shop( my son helped on the mission)
IMG_9053.jpeg
IMG_9054.jpeg
IMG_9052.jpeg
. Not going stock pattern route so hopefully they turn out how I envision them😜

Upholstery shop gave me the guts to paint up. The material arrived and I think it will look good! Hopefully he will have them done in the next couple weeks. Used cans of cruiser corps Cygnus white.
IMG_9207.jpeg
IMG_9208.jpeg
IMG_9209.jpeg
IMG_9206.jpeg

IMG_9210.jpeg

Last edited:
Progress! Pick up front seat Monday and door cards and rear later next week. Teaser pic of the back of front seat
IMG_9582.jpeg

Now that I’m driving it the water pump decides to mark its territory…. Had a rebuild kit on hand by not sure this is the original pump.. ordered a 1f pump as I already have the bypass hose on lower rad. Hopefully part comes in and it’s back up and running next week.

IMG_9608.jpeg

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_9610.jpeg

IMG_9611.jpeg

IMG_9612.jpeg

All new heater hoses, flushed cooling system. Hopefully back seat and door cards next week. Then ready for first family outing to cars and coffee/donuts on Sat am. Hot lap around neighborhood with the kids to burp the coolant.
IMG_9746.jpeg
IMG_9747.jpeg

Last edited:
400 grit on palm sander.. should get a nice patina under the multiple repaints of grey and yellow. We shall see … going to chip away at it a panel at a time.
IMG_9913.jpeg
IMG_9914.jpeg
IMG_9915.jpeg

Is that blue on the tailgate? I thought my 45SWB had a lot of layers of different primer/paint (six) 😂.

From what I can tell he sprayed blue over the bare metal spots… then a thick coat of grey primer then the yellow.. in his log book of everything he did he painted it in 1974 or 84 can’t remember at the moment.

That’s a lot of the original paint! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Man that’s looking really good. Little bit at a time…priceless.😀

@CRZR45 that paint underneath is unreal. Slow and steady will win this gorgeous patina race.
🤟😜 we shall see… they definitely sanded more off driver side on the white… but still fun to uncover as much as I can.

Floors are clean. Really clean behind interior panels! Happy it’s not rusty!

123_1.jpeg

123_1.jpeg

123_1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom