12v power outlets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone utilized both of their 12v outlets at the same time with out any problems? I specifically want to run my fridge (Dometic CFX3) with one outlet and charge my power station (Goal Zero 500x) with the other outlet at the same time. I’ve tried to daisy chain them while driving but the Goal Zero still drained significantly, leaving me without a fridge for the 2nd evening our trip. My concern is that the car battery or alternator wouldn’t sustain the output for running both items. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Don’t know about using both outlets, but it’s interesting that your effort to “daisy chain” didn’t work.
Does the Goal Zero have the ability to Pass Through? In other words, receive and give current simultaneously...
On my little Jackery 240, I plug it into a 12v cig lighter and the plug my fridge into it (again, 12v).
Works great and the Jackery takes a charge.
One trick is to pre-chill the fridge/contents as much as possible to minimize the wattage draw when driving.

Don’t know about using both outlets, but it’s interesting that your effort to “daisy chain” didn’t work.
Does the Goal Zero have the ability to Pass Through? In other words, receive and give current simultaneously...
On my little Jackery 240, I plug it into a 12v cig lighter and the plug my fridge into it (again, 12v).
Works great and the Jackery takes a charge.
One trick is to pre-chill the fridge/contents as much as possible to minimize the wattage draw when driving.
The fridge/contents were pre-chilled and linking everything worked, but not as efficiently as I hoped it would. The GZ still charged while powering the fridge at the same time. But after driving for roughly 7 hrs, with the car shut off for about 2hrs total, the GZ had about 80% of the battery left once we got to camp. The next morning, after running the fridge for about 15 hrs and no charge going into the GZ, we were at about 20%. The GZ charged up to maybe 30% by the time we got to the next camp (while still powering the fridge), but was completely drained by the time sunset hit.
So I guess i'm trying to figure out a way to either preserve the GZ until camp or charge it faster while on the road. That's why I was hoping I could plug the fridge to one outlet and use the GZ with the other outlet. Thanks

Unless the (2) 12v plugs are on the same circuit, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. I’m no electrician though...
Another possible option for you is a small solar panel...I have a 60w Rockpals unit. Light, folds away, small footprint and easily packable.
When the sun is out and strong, I can see 40 watts or more going into my Jackery, while it’s simultaneously charging the fridge at anywhere from 1w (float), to 25 watts (working hard to bring down the temp).
Good luck

Unless the (2) 12v plugs are on the same circuit, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. I’m no electrician though...
Another possible option for you is a small solar panel...I have a 60w Rockpals unit. Light, folds away, small footprint and easily packable.
When the sun is out and strong, I can see 40 watts or more going into my Jackery, while it’s simultaneously charging the fridge at anywhere from 1w (float), to 25 watts (working hard to bring down the temp).
Good luck
Ah, I should look into whether or not they’re on the same circuit. Thanks!
I do have a 100w portable solar panel which works great, but didn’t help on this last particular trip. The majority of our time was spent driving, it was snowing most of the day and we only had an hour left of sunlight when we got to each campsite.
Yeah, I’m basically trying to figure out a way to work with what I got now to avoid upgrading to a bigger power station.
Thanks again for the insight!

Update: I simply tested my original plan and it worked out fine. The Goal Zero was drawing 60w and was charging perfectly fine using the cigarette lighter while the Dometic ran fine using the 12v outlet. This setup should run well for 2 nights of camping without using any solar while at camp and running the fridge off the GZ overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom