100AH 12V GEL Batteries $125 on FB Marketplace in Long Beach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Log in or sign up to view - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1284173608750044/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A25906e43-1d2b-4cc9-bfbb-7d4b4c8c2b92

At $125 this sounds like a great deal, these are $290 on the Renogy website which is a ripoff… Deep Cycle Hybrid GEL Battery 12 Volt 100Ah - https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-hybrid-gel-battery-12-volt-100ah/
But they are GEL and not AGM which curiously Renogy sells for a little less at $270 and are generally considered better than GEL.

I got my similarly sized 100ah AGM battery from Amazon for $50 from some guy in San Diego who mistakenly ordered it and couldn’t return it for some reason… and they’re $180… Amazon product ASIN B00S1RT58C

I will look in that!

That Renogy battery looks pretty cool, and I'll admit I know nothing about them, but I'm a little wary of the temperature rating on their website. They only rate the battery down to 25* F. Isn't that concerning? I have had my truck in lower temps than that on many occasions. Also, they list the weight as 64 lbs. That's a hefty lad, too.

That Renogy battery looks pretty cool, and I'll admit I know nothing about them, but I'm a little wary of the temperature rating on their website. They only rate the battery down to 25* F. Isn't that concerning? I have had my truck in lower temps than that on many occasions. Also, they list the weight as 64 lbs. That's a hefty lad, too.
All lead acid chemistry batteries suffer at low temperatures, especially once you drop below freezing, and that includes all conventional batteries in use on vehicles; wet cell, maintenance free, gel cell, agm, etc (all are lead-acid based chemistry). Really the only readily available battery chemistry that isn't much affected by temperature is Lithium based batteries (ie LiFePO), and they're much lighter too, but you need break out your big wallet for those. The main difference I've read is that GEL based batteries may provide more charge discharge cycles as compared to AGM batteries which provide better performance for high current discharge rates, such as engine starting applications. So, perhaps GEL batteries might be better suited for the 'house' battery application in an offroad rig. You also need to be careful with regard to charging and how that is affected by temperature. Here's some light reading on that: Lead acid battery charging in cold weather - Victron Energy - https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/01/09/lead-acid-battery-charging-in-cold-weather/

Renogy is a good brand (although almost certainly made by someone else and just private labeled for Renogy), but their pricing is over the top. $125 for these batteries new in the box is a great price. If I needed one I'd be seriously tempted to drive up to Long Beach and get a couple (of course you then need to add your gas cost and time into the equation... might only make sense if doing a group buy...). I think the ad said he had more than 20 of them... I'd be surprised if they weren't already gone at that price.

Considering a Battleborn of the same capacity is ~$800, this def is a good price. I would be weary about permanently installing one of these, but would be a good candidate for an inexpensive power pack that can be moved between rigs. @Bud_Dude if you are offering to go get a couple I will throw in.

Considering a Battleborn of the same capacity is ~$800, this def is a good price. I would be weary about permanently installing one of these, but would be a good candidate for an inexpensive power pack that can be moved between rigs. @Bud_Dude if you are offering to go get a couple I will throw in.
Well Battleborn's are LiFePO4 batteries and most name brand batteries of that chemistry and capacity is in that price range.

I'm all set on batteries for the moment, so I'm not really interested in these personally.

I can say with out a doubt that the Amazon AGM battery I listed in the original post is the absolute largest battery that will fit into an 80 series factory battery tray/box. The Amazon AGM battery has dimensions of 12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches, and weighs in at 63.93 lbs. These Renogy batteries list dimensions of 12.9 x 6.8 x 8.7 and also weigh in at 63.9 lbs. At 0.73" wider I really doubt you can cram one of these Renogy's into the factory tray/box, but perhaps one of the after market battery trays could hold it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom