100 Series / Mobile HAM Setup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm assuming no HF?

You have lots of good suggestions already but my 2m/70cm rig is a Kenwood TF-H6A that I've been carrying around for a over a year. I plan to install it next week. It has built in APRS, is easy to program, and small. I have the RT Systems software and that is the easiest way to program it but it's very easy to program with the faceplate. I recently spent 3 months in New Mexico for work and didn't have the software with me. I put all of the MegaLink repeaters in with the faceplate and it was very easy to do. Now that my Slee rear bumper has arrived I have a place to install my HF antenna so it's time to install the HF rig too. The rig is an old Yaesu FT-847 that I bought when I got my license. The antenna is an ATAS-100. The ATAS-100 and FT-847 works for UHF/VHF/HF but I think I'll keep the Kenwood for UHF/VHF and just use the Yaesu for HF. I may install an Icom 706MKIIG that I have and use a Tarheel antenna but I'm leaning toward the simplicity of the FT-847/ATAS100 combo. I put a lot of mobile CW miles on the Yaesu rig when I was first licensed. Originally licensed as AD5BS --> WM5LL --> then NE5U because it's easier to send

As far as antenna mounts go I just finished testing a Comet HD-5M - Universal Ham Radio Mobile Antenna Lip Mount and Comet CA-2X4SRB - Broadband VHF/UHF Dual Band Ham Radio Mobile Antenna. The antenna worked great during a 2100 mile round trip to and around NW New Mexico. The mount seemed to be ok but not made very well. The day after I arrived home I notices that the allen screw that controls rotation had backed off and the antenna was flopping around. To be fair, the mount has detents and they didn't line up so that the antenna was vertical. When I installed it I "made it line up" but eventually the mount turned loose.

I had also installed a Diamond Antenna K-400 mount with C213SMA cable assembly and Comet CSB770A. The K-400 is a much higher quality mount. The boss that the antenna connector is mounted to is machined on the K-400 and thin stamped steel on the HD-5M. I can position the antenna where I want to with the K-400 and the HD-5M has detents. I ordered a K-400 mount to replace the HD-5M but I'll used the coax assembly from the HD-5M in the K-400 mount so I don't have to change the coax out (winner winner chicken dinner).

The CSB770A antenna has a little higher gain (and taller) and it does seem to have a slight edge over the CA-2X4SRB.

PS- I didn't buy two antennas just to test mounts and antennas. Whatever I don't use on the LC will be installed in my pickup. Ditto the HF rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom