100 Series - Headlight upgrade possibilities (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I measured wrong, there is a drop.....forget how much now. Ah found it, about .35volt......not bac actaully

ELLTEE said:
Folks -
T
I read that the LandPimp measured no drop across the wiring harness, so a new Slee product doesn't seem called for. And the DRL requires a different approach, anyway.

C
8)

OK. Got the H1+50's from Stern yesterday and will put them in tonight. Turns out, these are the European Osram Silverstars (not the weak American version of Silverstars) so they should be good to go.

Is there a possible way to add the lamps off a LX470 into the LC (Since they come with projector headlights) And add an HID kit?

odesoto said:
Is there a possible way to add the lamps off a LX470 into the LC (Since they come with projector headlights) And add an HID kit?
Yeah, the final product would look like this :flipoff2:
RANDCRUSERCYGNAS.jpg

I've put some HID's on my LX. Light is brigher and easier to see at night. I bought some HIDs with modified H1 bases. The base of the headlight needs to be filed down to clear the bulb though, so its not plug and play. I got mine about a year ago. and so far so good. The bulb is a 5500K bulb, and its a little too blue for my liking.

I made a relay for the ballasts and so far no problems except for weaker radio reception with the lights on. I think the ballasts must be interfering with the radio

I've put some HIR's in mine, and couldn't be happier. Only thing i'd want would be for some HIRs to go into the high beam slot. A MUCH needed improvement over the standard bulb.

Below is a link showing the modification. Even what it takes to file down the tabs. Pictures of the filing, and all that jazz.

All it needs is a writeup and it'd be golden.

http://www.jobe.cc/~aljordan/LC/HIR/

How about wrapping the ballasts in lead foil?

hey guys i posted this same question over at club lexus.com and I got this reply... Figure it might help us.

--------------------------------

Greetings all,

Long time forum reader, first time poster. A few months ago I started exploring the option of adding a Xenon setup to my 05 Land Cruiser's headlamps. I decided to go with a stock Toyota (Denso) ballast and bulb setup I purchased on eBay. The look is absolutely fantastic, and install was a breeze. Here is a link to an auction for the bulbs and ballast on eBay. I really wanted to maintain a stock look so I went with these instead of the aftermarket looking set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...sspagename=WDVW

I highly recommend this setup. If anyone needs some more information for installing these on their Land Cruiser or LX470, just post a reply.

Thanks,

bill_und

(here is the thread link )

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166810

ELLTEE said:
Ok, I'm getting more confused than usual.
Cary's thread on the 80-series lights suggests a lamp upgrade to HIR, and he mentions John Deere and says Slee carries a similar bulb from IPF. The thread also said (I think) that HID conversion kits are illegal nowadays, and likely to be bait-and-switch marketing.

What's available? What works?
thanks
LT

:-\

Well I have a 98 LC and just put in the HID kit for only $225 with 8000k builbs and it is the best upgrade i have done so fare. This will make any LC\LX look awsome!!!!!!!!!!!! and you will burn out your harness and builb if you leave those cheap $20 builbs that is higher than 35watts sooner than later!!! (trust me)

I would be cautious putting HID replacement bulbs mounted in a non-HID lamp case. It would be nice to get a hold of the OEM Lexus HID lamps.

hoser said:
I would be cautious putting HID replacement bulbs mounted in a non-HID lamp case. It would be nice to get a hold of the OEM Lexus HID lamps.

IT WOULD BE NICE BUT THE LX 470 DOESNT COME WITH HIDS SO TRUST ME THE KIT I HAVE IS GREAT AND THEY DONT BLIND THE LITTLE CARS IN FRONT OF ME CAUSE THEY FACE DOWN TO FACTORY SPEC ( CAUSE THE BULB IS MADE FOR OUR TRUCKS) LIKE I SAID IT IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did too. HID is a great improvement and easy to install. I'm not sure about legal stuff because it's not approved here, and people can have problems with registration of vehicle.

Powerbulbs in UK has Philips replacement bulbs which are not available in the US. I've replaced the bulbs in the LC with the Philips premium bulbs and they have a bright white light.

They are advertised as being 30% brighter. Don't know about the actual percentage but they are noticably brighter.

I've also ran Philips bulbs in my Tacoma, Tundra, and 4runner.

If you are looking for a good stock replacement bulb, consider Philips.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

Read the lighting faq I wrote for the 80 series. The same information applies to the 100 series.

HID retrofits are illegal, PERIOD. In addition to being illegal, they also put a bulb with a different focal length and focal point in a housing that was not designed for this. You may be putting out more light, but who knows where it is going. Just because is looks brighter, doesn't mean it is putting out useful light where you need it. Blue bulbs appear to be "bright" because of their glare factor, but in fact they are putting out far less lumens.

cary said:
Read the lighting faq I wrote for the 80 series. The same information applies to the 100 series.

HID retrofits are illegal, PERIOD. In addition to being illegal, they also put a bulb with a different focal length and focal point in a housing that was not designed for this. You may be putting out more light, but who knows where it is going. Just because is looks brighter, doesn't mean it is putting out useful light where you need it. Blue bulbs appear to be "bright" because of their glare factor, but in fact they are putting out far less lumens.

As Cary said, and as per the FAQ in the 80 section, you will NOT do any better than the infrared HIR bulbs on the Land Cruiser. For the LX, as it uses H1 bulbs for the low beams, you can go with an Osram + 50 or the like.

HID bulbs are cool and all, but are an illegal and oft poorly performed upgrade, as their bulb placement requirements are different than the stock bulb's, as Cary stated.

I have HIR's in my 100, low beams came from John Deere, high beams from Rallylights(I can spell Squancelent ;) (oh, they were already trimed to fit)

Just swaped in the LX low beams some H1 Yellowstars, I like em :)

Here's an alternative if you want a whiter light. I pulled this picture off the net. It compares the OEM halogen bulbs to Sylvania Silverstars bulbs both H1 and Fog lamps. The light is "whiter" but no brighter. Some have reported that the Silverstar bulbs don't last as long as the standard bulbs either.
LexusHLSwap.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom