100 Series Fuel Filler Cap Differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've owned my 1998 2UZ Land Cruiser for 3 years and it's had a Stant 10825 aftermarket fuel filler cap presumably for many, many years from the previous owner. I've read about all the fuel pressure issues people have had and was pleased I never had them...until this week as the weather has been warm and I'm noticing fuel smell at idle and noises from the canister area even after the rig is shut off after driving. I also took the rig wheeling at altitude for father's day and I noticed fuel smell on the trail as pointed out by many previous threads and like others, I vented the fuel filler cap and vapors escaped vigorously for as long as I was willing to keep it open which was a couple minutes as we prepared for a short hike and then I sealed it back up. Drove home and parked it.

Fast forward to this morning, about 70 degrees out I decided to have a look at the fuel door to see if I could fit a cap with a tether like the 2001 style fuel cap (like to figure out where the tether anchor would go). I opened the fuel cap to see if there was still pressure and sure enough, there was none but there were 3 loose pieces of the aftermarket cap sitting on the tank flap! It was a metal disk, a spring and what looks to be a spring retainer. I can only assume that all the venting I did at altitude when I drove it back to sea level it must have sucked in vacuum and blew the little sealer disk out along with the collar that holds it all in the cap? I'm guessing this is why the OEM cap has it all encapsulated behind plastic with those little vent holes in the plastic.

Now that my long wordy background is out of the way, I've narrowed my search to 2 different fuel filler caps, the 1998 propper part number and the one with the tether from 2001. I'm assuming there's no functional difference besides the tether? I don't care much for opinions on who likes or doesn't like the tether, just want to know if the caps are otherwise exactly the same. Anybody know that?

77310-48020 - 98 Specified Fuel Filler Cap without tether
77300-53010 - 2001 Specified Fuel Filler cap WITH tether

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom