07 Tundra 37s pros cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
35s no bmc, 37s bmc.

Will install 5.29s, but not sure about 37s, anyone care to share about 37s for their Tundra?

Thanks

You’ll be swimming in kitty. What else could you possibly need to consider???:slap:

I had 35s and 5.29s on my Tundra and it was great.

I put a set of my friends 37s on it for some testing and the tranny was constantly hunting for gears.

It was bizarre how just one step up in size made the tranny all wonky

My .02

I had 35s and 5.29s on my Tundra and it was great.

I put a set of my friends 37s on it for some testing and the tranny was constantly hunting for gears.

It was bizarre how just one step up in size made the tranny all wonky

My .02
What year and what engine? I’m sure there is a Pro-Cal or whatever that you can use to tune shift points.

To add relevance, my truck feels no different as far as power and shifts on 35s than it does on 33s. My smile is 62.475% bigger though.

2019 with 5.7 and TRD intake and exhaust.

What year and what engine? I’m sure there is a Pro-Cal or whatever that you can use to tune shift points.
2014, 5.7L

Had 4.30 gearing stock

When regeared to 5.29s and 35s, recalibrated speedo and the tranny shifted perfectly

I tend to agree with the above. I’d run stock gearing for awhile if you only go to 35s, and give it a bit of an assessment. Even with 37s I probably only go to 4.88s

I tend to agree with the above. I’d run stock gearing for awhile if you only go to 35s, and give it a bit of an assessment. Even with 37s I probably only go to 4.88s

Thats what i started with, stock 4.30 gearing and 35s

Even with speedo corrected and such, the tranny was hunting for gears like crazy, it was annoying as hell

I'll stand by my recommendation of 5.29s with 35s or 37s, been there, done that, drove to arctic circle, etc...

Going from 4.30 to 4.88 makes very little sense, as the difference will be minimal vs the cost

Thats what i started with, stock 4.30 gearing and 35s

Even with speedo corrected and such, the tranny was hunting for gears like crazy, it was annoying as hell

I'll stand by my recommendation of 5.29s with 35s or 37s, been there, done that, drove to arctic circle, etc...
Well damn, I’ve never driven to the Arctic Circle, so I guess I’ll retract my statement 🙄

There must have been something else going on with your truck. I build custom RVs for a living and tow constantly with 4.30 and 35s. My trans does not hunt at all.

The speedometer has nothing to do with the transmission shift points?

Last edited:
The speedometer has nothing to do with the transmission shift points?

Cant speak for various years, but it most definitely effected tranny shift points on my 2014

I'm on stock tires on my Tundra, but I drive my brother's on 35's occasionally. Even in the mountains at elevation I can't tell much difference. It doesn't gear hunt at all. It does downshift sooner. And it does have some noticeable power loss, but not terrible. Mine is a '16 Limited. His is a '13 Limited. Both are Crewmax 4x4. I've also towed skid steers and mini ex with both. Gear hunting wasn't an issue for either. Just a data point to add. What is a big noticeable difference is mpg. Totally stock I get around 18mpg highway and his gets more like 14.

For 37's 5.29 does seem to be about right mathematically for the correction. I tend to think the Tundra is on the low gear side to start so you'd probably be just fine without gears at least up to 35s. I really like the look of 37's at stock height. I put a lot of towing highway miles on my Tundra though. And short of going up to a 22.5 wheel, I'm not sure there's many options in that size range that are good highway tires. And I already have a LC40 on 39's so it's hard to convince my wife that I also need my daily driver to have 37s. :(

I will agree the mpg is not good at all. But it’s about the same in my FJcruiser. Now my 40. I wish it got 14 mpg. Feel like I am lucky to get 14 miles per tank with it 🤦🏻‍♂️

I will agree the mpg is not good at all. But it’s about the same in my FJcruiser. Now my 40. I wish it got 14 mpg. Feel like I am lucky to get 14 miles per tank with it 🤦🏻‍♂️
Hahahaha. I feel you on the FJ40. I don't have any idea what my FJ40 gets, but 14 miles per tank seems about right. My dad's totally stock '73 FJ40 IIRC will get around 15, maybe more. Really not bad considering the age. But it only goes about 60mph with the 3 speed, so not a great highway cruiser. lol.

The vehicle that I found to be legitimately impressive for fuel efficiency was my 5th gen 4Runner with the 1GR. Highway MPG was marginal at best. But On the trails in Moab, Rubicon, and similar difficulty stuff where it was very slow going - I'd get 10-14mpg. When I'd tow my teardrop travel trailer to moab - I would actually get better mpg out on the trails than I did on the way down. It was really incredible how many days/miles/idle hours it will go crawling around in the back country without using much fuel at all. On the Rubicon where my FJ40 would probably burn a full tank and maybe even need some from the fuel cans to go the 35ish miles, my 4Runner probably burned only 4-5 gallons. In my 3rd gen 4R with the 5VZ I would need to carry extra fuel for trips out to the remote parts of the Grand Staircase and my 5th gen would come back at half a tank. I like to poo poo the 1GR as being ancient and as balanced as a washing machine full of rocks on the highway. And it really is underpowered for a 4800lb SUV for American highways. But if I lived in part of the world where I never needed to go up a mountain pass at 75mph - the 1GR is really frugal on fuel at lower speeds and bulletproof. It's a great engine for the right use. I'd love to have a dual VVTI 1GR in my FJ40.

I'd guess your FJCruiser is pretty similar. I'm not sure if there's any difference in that context between the 1GR and 1GR 2.0 (I'm not sure why they still called the 2010+ 1GR a 1GR - it shares nothing except IIRC the crank bearings with the OG 1GR, block, heads, crank, pistons, etc are all different).

I already have a LC40 on 39's so it's hard to convince my wife that I also need my daily driver to have 37s. :(

Tell her it will do your self esteem some good, and help you get in touch with your feelings🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom