04 transmission problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have got 04 LC with 72k miles. There is problem with transmission when it changes between 4 and 5 gear. It happens when driving around 35mph and 1600rpm , only when I am accelerating slowly or driving for short time with that speed. Car shakes quite badly. As soon as I take my foot of the accelerator it stops.
There are no problems with shifting between another gears and no problem when I am accelerating quicker between 30 -40 mph. I have checked ATF, it is clean and correct amount.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was hoping it is something less complicated and cheaper to repair.

Last edited:
You sure about the atf level? it's tricky to do right.

Is it worth trying to exchange the fluid, and clean the mesh? (I don't know enough about auto-boxes to say, so just asking)

There's a known fifth gear shudder tsb that applies to 2004 lcs (actually 2004 and 2005 and i believe both lc and lx). Unfortunately the decription seems to match yours pretty closely so it's worth looking into. Here's a copy paste of the text for the lx470 tsb (images missing since i'm just on cell phone).

TRANSMISSION & CLUTCH
TC001-05
Title:
FIFTH GEAR SHUDDER
Models:
'04 - '05 LX 470
January 28, 2005
Introduction
Some 2004 and 2005 model year LX 470 vehicles may exhibit a shudder (or vibration) sensation, usually accompanied by a cyclic droning noise, when lightly accelerating (less than 15% throttle) after the transmission shifts into 5th gear (usually between 35 and 45 mph). This condition may be caused by water entering the transmission breather, contaminating the transmission fluid. The transmission breather has been changed to prevent water intrusion.
Applicable Vehicles
^ 2004 - 2005 model year LX 470 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.

Production Change Information

Parts Information

Warranty Information
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.
Repair Procedure

1. Remove automatic transmission with torque converter.
A. Disconnect the breather tube and transfer rear case hose No. 1 from the transmission breather skirt (vent).
B. Remove the transmission with torque converter. Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), 2004 or 2005 model year LX 470 Repair Manual; Automatic Transmission: Automatic Transmission Unit: Removal.

2. Replace Transmission Breather Skirt (Vent). Remove the bolt and replace the transmission breather skirt (vent).
Torque: 12 N.m (122 kgf.cm, 8.9 ft.lbf)
3. Install new automatic transmission with new torque converter.
A. Install the new transmission with new torque converter. Refer to TIS, 2004 or 2005 model year LX 470 Repair Manual; Automatic Transmission: Automatic Transmission Unit: Removal.
B. Reconnect the breather tube and transfer rear case hose No. 1 to the transmission breather skirt (vent).
4. Adjust fluid level in transmission. Refer to TIS, 2004 or 2005 model year LX 470 Repair Manual; Diagnostics: Automatic Transmission: Pre-Check.
5. Road test and confirm proper transmission operation.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Anyway you can post the list of VINs when you're on a real computer?

I checked fluid according to manual, I did not check magnet and mesh.

My problem match agaisin's description.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom