03 GX, no/very little sound from radio. (ML/Nav) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the sound in my truck stopped working. You’re probably typing “replace the amp” right now. It’s not the amp. I swapped in a known good one. If I change the input to CD and crank it waaaay up, I can get a little tiny bit of sound from the speakers. Both radio fuses are good. Amp cooling fan cycles on off with a key cycle. All Nav functions and everything else work as normal.
Connections at the back of the A/V unit are good. Disconnected the battery just for safe measure. Still nothing.
Originally when this started happening, the radio would sometimes work. Other times it wouldn’t. It progressively got to the point where it’s completely stopped. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the audio section with Nav/ML or have any insight?

Edit- only other unusual thing I’ve noticed is when doing an FM scan it doesn’t pick up any channels, like you’re out in the boonies. Just continually cycles thru the FM range repeatedly.

Have you gone into the diagnostic menu on the Nav and looked at the readout?

Have you gone into the diagnostic menu on the Nav and looked at the readout?
Yes. All systems show OK. Weird additional fact I figured out- all the song titles that display with the radio presets are the same titles from when the radio stopped working last year. This issue is a doozy. I may just do a Tesla screen and be done with Nav/ML.

This might be a long shot - but 1.) do you get anything or is it just static-y like you aren't getting any reception - or like a CD is skipping? 2.) do you have a factory backseat flip down screen/DVD player?

If so (then at least on the Toyota/JBL system in the 4R and other models) there is sometimes something screwed up between the communication of the headunit and the rear seat entertainment that screws up the system. Don't ask me how or why that is the case.

But, IF (a big IF) this is your problem, then you can unplug the rear entertainment screen and the system should work again. Again - caveat here is that this happens on the Toyota/JBL systems and if you have the symptoms above. I had this on my 4th gen 4Runner and it took a deep DEEP dive on the internet to figure it out!

This might be a long shot - but 1.) do you get anything or is it just static-y like you aren't getting any reception - or like a CD is skipping? 2.) do you have a factory backseat flip down screen/DVD player?

If so (then at least on the Toyota/JBL system in the 4R and other models) there is sometimes something screwed up between the communication of the headunit and the rear seat entertainment that screws up the system. Don't ask me how or why that is the case.

But, IF (a big IF) this is your problem, then you can unplug the rear entertainment screen and the system should work again. Again - caveat here is that this happens on the Toyota/JBL systems and if you have the symptoms above. I had this on my 4th gen 4Runner and it took a deep DEEP dive on the internet to figure it out!

I get nothing at all. I have rear seat audio but no rear seat entertainment. IE; no flip down DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom