'03 4runner tranny problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my Dad has an '03 v6 4runner, original owner, he meticulously maintains this truck, drives it extremely smooth like a grandma, never floors it, has taken it in to toyota for service when necessary. Now at 91,500 miles, i take it into service for the timing belt and tranny. Apparantly it has a timing chain.

I tell them that when you drive the truck it shifts fine, but when you come to a complete stop, the tranny kicks. So when you stop the truck completely, you then immediately feel the tranny kick, like your shifting from nuetral to drive. So i tell the idiots at toyota that i would like for them to change the fluid and filter as part of the service, they tell me that they were not able to duplicate the tranny kick during the test drive therefore they won't change the fluid and filter. I ask her when was the last time they changed the fluid, she tells me the fluid in the differential and tranny are original at 90,000 miles.:eek::eek::eek:. I said what!!! She, the service rep, said that these newer trucks come with a synthetic fluid that never needs to be changed for the life of the car. I call bull**** on this and tell them that is the dumbest s*** i've ever heard. I tell her to change the fluid and filter anyway, she says they can't do it because it is bad to put new fluid in the tranny. At this point i said give me the keys and an invoice and i'm outta here. Now i tell my dad this and he believe all the crap toyota says so he say if they say don't change it, then don't change it. So what's the deal??

Hmm... Well, I don't know about never having to change the fluid, but I believe the "drain & fill" method is preferred vs. actually flushing and changing out the filter. If you have the know-how to drain and fill, just do that. You don't need to change out the "filter" (I believe it's just a mesh screen, not an actual filter).

Also, as far as the "kick" goes, it could be that you need a lube job. Do it yourself or have Toyota lube all the joints down there.

Hey guys, my Dad has an '03 v6 4runner, original owner, he meticulously maintains this truck, drives it extremely smooth like a grandma, never floors it, has taken it in to toyota for service when necessary. Now at 91,500 miles, i take it into service for the timing belt and tranny. Apparantly it has a timing chain.

I tell them that when you drive the truck it shifts fine, but when you come to a complete stop, the tranny kicks. So when you stop the truck completely, you then immediately feel the tranny kick, like your shifting from nuetral to drive. So i tell the idiots at toyota that i would like for them to change the fluid and filter as part of the service, they tell me that they were not able to duplicate the tranny kick during the test drive therefore they won't change the fluid and filter. I ask her when was the last time they changed the fluid, she tells me the fluid in the differential and tranny are original at 90,000 miles.:eek::eek::eek:. I said what!!! She, the service rep, said that these newer trucks come with a synthetic fluid that never needs to be changed for the life of the car. I call bull**** on this and tell them that is the dumbest s*** i've ever heard. I tell her to change the fluid and filter anyway, she says they can't do it because it is bad to put new fluid in the tranny. At this point i said give me the keys and an invoice and i'm outta here. Now i tell my dad this and he believe all the crap toyota says so he say if they say don't change it, then don't change it. So what's the deal??
I'm pretty sceptical about lifetime fluid in a auto tranny. The diffs, and a new manual tranny I might believe. I'd check with another dealer.

The 03 4Runners did not come with lifetime fluid in the trannies. Teh 04+ model years did. It is easy to check if it has lifetime fluid or not, if there is a tranny dipstick in the engine bay next to the engine oil dipstick it does NOT have life time ATF WS fluid.

I would recommend that they flush the tranny irrespective of lifetime fluid or not. Not just drain and refill. Also have the diffs and transfer case fluid drained and refilled.

Teh kick when you come to a stop is a common problem on lots of 4WD Toyotas. It is especially noticable on these newer ones they drive so smooth and quiet. What it is is 99% of the time is the rear driveshaft slipjoint that binds when the driveshaft extends durign braking and then compresses again during the time the weight goes back to the rear axle. Have them lube the slip joints and U joints on both driveshatfs. I assume it is a 4WD, if it s a 2WD there might be an issue with the joint where the driveshaft glides into the tranny.

Either way it is not a big deal and all she requires is proper maintenance from well informed technicians, and not ones that think they know what is going on.

You need a shop to do the tranny flush, but the driveline you can easily do yourself. Here is a write up for the new 4Runners
Driveline service

It does have a dipstick, that's what i thought, thank bud.

Either way, if you ask the dealer to change the fluids, why the f*&^ would they tell you know. It's not like you weren't going to pay for it.....

The new Tacos have this WS fluid as well. But mine has already overheated once when I was wheelin, and I don't plan on sitting on the original fluid for 100k miles.

Either way, if you ask the dealer to change the fluids, why the f*&^ would they tell you know. It's not like you weren't going to pay for it.....

The new Tacos have this WS fluid as well. But mine has already overheated once when I was wheelin, and I don't plan on sitting on the original fluid for 100k miles.

I asked them too, and they say no, we don't touch lifetime fluid, i said i'm gonna pay for it and they still refused. What should i do, is there anything i can do for them neglected dad's car for so many miles?

Wow, my new V8 4Runner does the same thing, occasionally. That's good to know.

First, I believe that 04/05 not sure and up have a sealed transmission that supposedly doesn't ever need change and you can't check the level. I think the 03 is not sealed but supposedly has lifetime fluid. This does not in any way prevent it from being changed. And if he is having problems with it it seems more than reasonable.

The second issue...how severe is the "kick", if it is mild more like a thud it may be the drive shaft...it may need to be lubed. This is a common issue on the 4runner. it won't cause a problem but is an annoyance.

good luck with the stealer

....just noticed reading the thread this has all been said...guess I didn't add anything new

First, I believe that 04/05 not sure and up have a sealed transmission that supposedly doesn't ever need change and you can't check the level. I think the 03 is not sealed but supposedly has lifetime fluid. This does not in any way prevent it from being changed. And if he is having problems with it it seems more than reasonable.

The second issue...how severe is the "kick", if it is mild more like a thud it may be the drive shaft...it may need to be lubed. This is a common issue on the 4runner. it won't cause a problem but is an annoyance.

good luck with the stealer

....just noticed reading the thread this has all been said...guess I didn't add anything new

The 4Runner uses the same 5spd auto as the 100LC. 03 4Runners use a non sealed tranny with notmal Type IV ATF which is non lifetime fluid. It still has the dipstick.

04+ uses the WS ATF which is supposed to be lifetime. They also removed the dipstick thus the term "sealed". However you cans still flush it and fill/chekc the level with the plugs on the bottom and side fo the trnasmission (it hs 3 plugs : drain, level check and fill).

I believe the problem in this case was the normal rear driveshaft slipjoint that needed lube.

I've always gone the drain & fill route, and have never had troubles with the transmission. If you feel better with the complete flush, then go ahead.

Also, the 03-04 V6 4Runners had the 4-sp transmission and 05+ had the 5sp.

Sean,
Think about this situation from the dealer's perspective. You go in stating you think it has a transmission problem and want the fluid changed. Red flag alert! No mechanic with 1/2 of a brain is going to touch this irrespective of whether it is lifetime fluid or not.

Talk about liability? Vulcan LM in Vestavia demanded that I sign a release as they had no record of my old Explorer's tranny ever being serviced. I just had it done regularly at a different dealer but they didn't care. They viewed it as a potential risk that doing this service may contribute to some potential problem and they didn't really want to buy me a $2500 transmission for a $100 fluid change. It's not right, it;s just how it is.

As far as the service writer knowing the facts...it appears she did not. I just bought an '07 4WD SR5 and spent some time talking to several mechanics in the service department at Hoover Toyota while it was being prep'd. They told me my 2007 never required a transmission fluid change...whether I towed with it or not. It kinda defies logic but who knows better?.

The only thing I will ever deal with the stealer service department is warranty work. It's not the mechanics them selves but what I have personally experienced in the incompetence of the service advisors knowing their own product/job. There is an excellent Toy-certified mechanic in Alabaster called Melton Automotive 205-663-6088. They specialize in Toyota & Lexus, do all my work I cannot do including non-Toyota stuff. In 12/06 they put a timing belt, hoses, belts, water pump, two timing belt idlers and new coolant in my 2001 4R w/ 3.4L V6 for $1158.58 ($470.58 parts, $688.08 labor). They are honest, meticulous, less $$ than the stealer, a pleasure to deal with and sincerely thank me for my business.

The only reason to deal with the stealer is warranty work. Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom