New way to flush power Steering Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I was flushing my Brake fluid using a Vacuum Bleeder kit from Harbor Freight and had an idea about using it to flush my power steering fluid. I stuck the hose all the way down in the reservoir and sucked out the fluid. Filled it with new synthetic fluid, turned on the truck and turned the wheel a few times. I repeated this step 3 times until only clear and new fluid came out.

It was easy and took 5 minutes. These Vacuum Bleeders are a lot easier for bleeding the brakes as well. Mine was $24 with a 20% coupon.

Ken,

Would you post a part number?

Regards

Alvaro

medtro said:

That exact one. Alavaro see the link.

You hook it up to your air compressor and it creates a vacuum. There are other makers and brabds out there, but this one seemed less expensive.

reviving this old thread here with a couple questions.
Last time I changed ps fluid it was on a tacoma and I used a turkey baster to suck it up. lol.
This kind of seems like doing a trans fluid change by draining and refilling many times.
is there a way to use the ps pump to scavenge the fluid?

Mike,

I disconnected the thicker of the two hoses (return line). And just let it drain all the way. Then placed the truck on jack stands and disconnected the coil.
Then cranked the engine as I rotated the steering wheel from side to side to get all the air out. After moving the tires from side to side a couple of times you should be good. It was not too had.

Regards

Alvaro

IIRC, I did it without the engine running or cranking just by turning the steering wheel back and forth.

IIRC, I did it without the engine running or cranking just by turning the steering wheel back and forth.

Eric,

That works too, but it takes longer.
Cranking the engine is much faster.

Mike,
BTW, I almost forgot. Check the ATF level as you do the process, you don't want to get air in there again.

Regards

Alvaro

cool, thanks. this is my project for today. It was making some noise the other day and I figured it was time to change it.

What fluid are you guys adding back in ? OEM?

I was planning this little project myself. Redline makes a syn fluid as well as Lucas I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom