best price for drop-in aluminum FJ40 radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dgangle

total rice
Threads
Has anyone found a better price than what's listed for the drop-in direct-replacement-style aluminum FJ40 radiators?

This is what I have found so far:
MAF's $499
Ron Davis Racing (state they make it for MAF) $499
BeCool #62167 $640 w/tranny cooler , #60167 $603 without @ Summit

Ebay 22" X 19" special. Fits with *minor trimming of the stock radiator cradle. I bought a piece of swaged & curved tube to extend closer to the waterpump. I'd recommend buying a draincock too. I think it was around $170.00.

Had http://www.alumrad.com/index.html make a cross-flow for me with tranny cooler, Spal fan bracket and thermostat fitting. As I recall, it was about $550 including the bracket and shipping.

If you send Brian exact measurements, requirements, etc., he will work with you to build a custom unit for your application.

not just drop in I guess, but I ordered an aluminum cross flow off ebay from Superior Radiator in Michigan:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-8...062437968QQcategoryZ33602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Infact- that is pretty much the radiator I bought that this link is to.
After ordering, I called them and ended up changing the dimensions, and they were cool with it. They would prob not have any issues with moving the pots, either. I paid less than $300 in my auction... Its a good radiator.

cheers-
-Dustin

Last edited:
hi50phd said:
Had http://www.alumrad.com/index.html make a cross-flow for me with tranny cooler, Spal fan bracket and thermostat fitting. As I recall, it was about $550 including the bracket and shipping.

If you send Brian exact measurements, requirements, etc., he will work with you to build a custom unit for your application.

Brian will sell you the replacement alu radiator for the FJ-40 for $450 plus shipping..... nice looking product!!

Cheers

Aggh, forgot the picture....

Last edited:
1Fine40 said:
Brian will sell you the replacement alu radiator for the FJ-40 for $450 plus shipping..... nice looking product!!

Cheers

Aggh, forgot the picture....

Here it is:
Alurad.jpg

Downeyoff-road.com also sells a 4 core copper radiator for 399.99, if copper is an option for you.

update

Well I spoke to some that have used the BeCool, Ron Davis/MAF, AA, etc and with the exception of Texican had bad experiences. Plus with what the BeCool costs one can buy allot of creativity. I gave gave up on the direct drop in and looked into options for something with more area.

I have a neighbor that has a 350 SBC in a CJ7 and liked how his conversion radiator mounted. I ended up having one built by Charlie Thurman at Superior Radiator in Mt Clemens, MI that was based on this Heep conversion rad. It is approx 2" wider to make it easier to mount with angles veritally upward fromt he frame. The core is 20" X 20" with two 1" oval tubes. 21" tall X 24" wide overall plus the width of the mounting flanges.

I am not afraid to praise or throw mud at someone based on the job they have done but I gotta say dealing with this guy has not been a confidence inspiring ordeal. I don't know how this guy gets 100% positive feedback on EBay as he has proven to me he is pretty unreliable, hasn't communicated very well and is possibly a poor businessman or a combination of all. It has been one lost expecation after another from the status to the date it shipped to the tracking number. After three times longer than he said it would take, the UPS man delivers a box. I am relieved that it ilooks like a quality piece. The dimensions and mounting flanges were as we discussed but it has no tranny cooler, no receipt and a different tracking number. Hum mm?

With 180 T stat, new HD Hayden clutch fan on a 19" dia 7 blade fan from a Caddy and no shroud, I am please to report it runs a cool 180-200F in 100 F degree weather. It tends to stay between 180 and 190 with the temp going to 200 only when put under load like up a mountain. I have mocked up a shroud and plan to fab one soon and that should help out as well.

The radiator was $338 to my door. About $100 in a new cap, hoses and clutch fan, and $40 for a couple cases while fabbing mounts, moving power steering hoses, moving battery rearward, etc. More pics to come. I gotta buy a star!

EDIT: dropped most of the negative editorial
DSCF0013-1.JPG
DSCF0014-1.JPG

Last edited:
AlaskanWheeler said:
Downeyoff-road.com also sells a 4 core copper radiator for 399.99, if copper is an option for you.

sor sell a 4 core for $310

This setup is working well for me... 29" x 19 1/2" x 2 3/4" summit alum. radiator with a extreme blackmagic electric fan (3300 CFM) w/built in shroud, and 180 degree thermostat. On a 100 degree day I will stay below 205 degrees, most of the time I am around 185-190 degrees.

I think its great product for the money. Exact replica of the original equip. I haven't seen a factory radiator in good shape personally. Both my 67, and 70 were leaking and rotten.

Last edited:
Champion radiator in Orange Ca. sells a drop in for 199. and its been good to me for almost three years. and I;m running a stock small blk 350.

wow .. this thread is old... sure that they have come down in price for a drop in now...

hellbent40 said:
wow .. this thread is old... sure that they have come down in price for a drop in now...

Still $300-350 for an aftermarket unit.

BTW, does anyone sells a unit with electric fan attached?

Just did the radiator barn HD for 258 delivered (in the States), only downside was a little mod needed to the mounting holes because the bottom hit the radiator frame at the bottom. Three weeks of flawless service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom