My garage made stone guards mod on my FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, for my latest mod and homemade garage device for my Fj40, I decided that having stone guards on the front headlights and baja lights was out of balance with none on the rear. So's, I decided to make my own custom version using my patented Home Depot method becuase I could not find any for the light guards on an FJ (Many of you have read some of the mods I have done with a cookie pan and others with a few dollars in parts from home depot).

For this mod, I came across a 6" x 24" piece of mesh that is used as a Gutter Guard (so they call it) and cost me a whopping $1.49! I precisoin cut them long by several inches, notched out each corner, folded them over and press fit in.

The following animation tells the tale. In the end, I made each in about 10 minutes, used some black paint and viloa...... $1.49 (plus tax) custom stone guards!!!

stome_guards.gif

thought they are pressure fit in (so I can take off easy for bulb access) as I cut them longer than needed and folded the excess in so it nearly fills the depth of current light guards, I have a simple system in mind to actually attach them, but I doubt they will fall out as is as they are pretty snug.

Last edited:
Looks good. I did something similar last year with my 4Runner. I cut some of the wire mesh I found in Lowes and fit them to my TJM temporarily with zip ties.
DSC02948.jpg

offroad_nomad said:
Looks good. I did something similar last year with my 4Runner. I cut some of the wire mesh I found in Lowes and fit them to my TJM temporarily with zip ties.
QUOTE]

That looks good.

Out of curiousity - is the hood scoop stock? If so does it feed the intake plenum? If so what does the snorkle feed?

topend yobbo said:
hood scoop would be for an intercooler

Not in the US, not sure how it is in Australia...the hood scoops came on some of those trucks, and came stock, but none were originally designed for an intercooler, since a s/c is strictly an add on. You can have the dealer do it before you pick it up, but the scoop can be found on many of the later 3rd gen 4runners, i think the limited or highlander editions had them..

The hood scoop is stock and completely non-functional. I read on YotaTech.com that someone was planning on making a series of holes in the scoop and then run some tubing from the scoop to the filter box. Not quite sure how it turned out or if he ever tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom