question about co2 on your 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
looking for some info on setting up a co2 on board air system , i got ahold of a co2 bottle ,i just need the reg . was wondering what any of you have used for a reg ,and where did you mount your bottle ,i can get a beverage regulator for free , but i have read that they will freeze up , any info or links to a reasonably priced regulator would be great . thanks

regulator

As to the location for mounting, anywhere that it is safe and secure. I used a co2 regulator that I got at a welding shop and have no problems freezing up. Great system. Good luck, Bill

I have a cheap regulator, It gets cold but hasnt froze yet, Then again I havent aired up more than 12 tires in one stint or run an air tool, 2 club snow runs and all is well, Im sure there are reasons for getting a good high flow reg. but I can live with what I have.
I still need to find a good mounting place, With the possablility of having kids in the back seat I need to find a better place than where it is now.
Good luck

I have a 20 pnd tank mounted to my rear rack, next to my jerry can and spare. I bought a regulator that I got from williamsballoon.com, cheap. Never had a problem with it. Unless you need the "super" fill valves that some vendors sell then just get a standard one with a quick release. I figured I could wait the additional 30 seconds to have my tire fill up. The tank also powers an air block in the engine compartment which I run my arb's off of from pneumatic switches. No electrical or solenoids to go bad, all mechanical and air driven.

On a side note, I have about 50 of these switches I need to get rid of. I bought them with a good friend when at one time we were going to be putting a company and kits together. Never materialized. That being said, if anyone wants a pair of switches, let me know.

I will be doing the ROTW later this week and will include more info on the switches setup, cost, etc.

Last edited:
nother.....
co2 rear rack 002.jpg

Last edited:
can't quite remember, I think mine pushes around 100 psi, don't run air tools so no problems, static pressure is different than rated pressure so make sure you ask about this when you buy it, if you care that much about the exact output, pressure will drop I think around 20 psi from the rated pressure. Not sure if I go this right, just ask the place about it. Only really a prob if you are running tools and want a specific top pressure, filling tires you are golden.

Noah

If you are just using it to fill tires, you don't really need a regulator. Just use a lock on chuck and make sure it is on the tire stem before you crack the valve. Shut the valve off before you disconnect the chuck. It just takes a few seconds to air up a tire.

I carry a five pound bottle. I actually have two. They are small and easy to stow and carry around. By having two it is not a problem if a bottle goes empty on me as I am filling the tires. I just crack the second and refill the empty when I get back to town. The partial bottle goes in position one, and the now full one becoems the backup.

It has been a long time since I was filling 35 inch tires, but IIRC I was getting 3 sets of 35x12.50s from 10 to 25+ psi out of a single five pound bottle. Or one set of 42x15s and one set of 35x12.50s with the same pressure numbers.

Mark...

So you need a 20# tank for 35s or bigger?

i have a #20 bottle , i may want to use some air tools who knows so i thought i would try to get a reg , thanks for all the input people , but i also may have another problem the bottle i have may need to be hydro tested so my project is on hold , it is stamped luxfur 7 @ 98 20# CO2 TW23*8
DOT-3AL1800 what does a new hydro date stamp look like ??

whats a lock on chuck ???

1973Guppie said:
On a side note, I have about 50 of these switches I need to get rid of. I bought them with a good friend when at one time we were going to be putting a company and kits together. Never materialized. That being said, if anyone wants a pair of switches, let me know.

I'm interested in a set of switches. I ran an ARB off of my Co2 tank in a previous rig and they work great.

Now I need some for my current project.

Let me know ...

Thanks!

another question about the coil hose
nylon or polyurethane
nylon max working pressure 200 psi (black nylon)
poly max 125 psi (blue poly)
both -40 F to +180 F
also which hose diameter 1/4 i.d. or 3/8 i.d.
my local parts place has both just not sure which to get

pbgbottle said:
looking for some info on setting up a co2 on board air system , i got ahold of a co2 bottle ,i just need the reg . was wondering what any of you have used for a reg ,and where did you mount your bottle ,i can get a beverage regulator for free , but i have read that they will freeze up , any info or links to a reasonably priced regulator would be great . thanks

My buddy has a 20lb setup that he uses. He got the reg off ebay and it is adjustable for CO2 and hasnt frozen up yet, and he is generous at the end of the day in filling up others tires. He runs air tools too. It is a cool toy.

We were messing around with it one day and with the right (meaning safe) mounting brakets, like Nuclearlemon, it will fit right onto the rear roll bar (stock) and fit in the rounded area of the tub with or without the hard top. It looked sweet too sitting right in the corner window.

Where did you get your bottle?

Just another .02

Rezarf <><

I use a beverage regulator on my 5# tank. I'm not too sure about how well it could seat a bead and it won't run air tools (output of only 40psi), but it will fill up my little 33" tires 3 times around with some left over. If you are working for a bev company, snatch an aluminum tank next time one slips through. Hose shouldn't matter much unless you really need much more than 125 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom