4L, Lockers, and ABS Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: Lockers are alive! Scroll down to read details.

Ok, before someone comes in and says it, I did search but didn't find anything that really fit my problem.

I've got a 94 FZJ80 with lockers and I went out to test them out today. I shift into 4L and drive in a circle in a gravel lot for about 15 minutes, nothing. I try engaging the lockers, nothing but flashing lights.

After this I called my brother-in-law who read several posts from Mud for me to try and rectify the situation. From what I understand, it could be a number of things.

Here are my symptoms:
- CDL dash light NEVER illuminates, even upon ignition on.
- ABS light does not come on when in 4L, but comes on when ignition is first on
- I don't hear any audible clicks or whirrs from the CDL or the relay box when shifting into 4L
- And of course, neither of the lockers will engage, most likely because the CDL doesn't lock.

Like I said, I found some other posts, but none of them indicated my exact problem. If anyone of you can direct me to the right post let me know. And I did read the Slee article Kumar wrote, doesn't fit my problem exactly.

Thanks,

-Andrew

Last edited:
I think you need to figure out why the CDL is does not engage.
It could be that you have loose wires going to your center diff. Have you been tinkering behind the dash? The CDL switch goes there. If your vehicle does not have a switch, it should have a terminator on the CDL wire harness. If remove, I think you would get the symptoms you describe.

Regards

Alvaro

FWIW,

When i first started driving my 80 the lockers would never work, neither did the CDL. One day i just sat there and shifted the t-case from High to Low, over and over, as to excercise the cdl....eventually the cdl light just popped on after 10 mintues on pushing and pulling the lever. Once i got that to work, the lockers soon followed.

Might be a long shot but its worth a try.

Cruiserhead05 said:
FWIW,

When i first started driving my 80 the lockers would never work, neither did the CDL. One day i just sat there and shifted the t-case from High to Low, over and over, as to excercise the cdl....eventually the cdl light just popped on after 10 mintues on pushing and pulling the lever. Once i got that to work, the lockers soon followed.

Might be a long shot but its worth a try.

Did you ever hear your CDL relay (behind the LH kick panel) ever make a click while you were having the CDL problems? My biggest worry is the relay is toast because I hear no click or anything when shifting into 4L.

-Andrew

I just had this same thing happen to me. In my case it turned out I had a broken pin on the CDL indicator switch. This switch sends a message to the dash to disable the ABS and allow the lockers to be used. In my case I was actually getting low range but it was never being indicated thus keeping the other systems inactive.

Do you think its possibly my L4 Position Switch that's bunk? I was thinking this because it my CDL Relay isn't kicking in it might be because its not "seeing" the transfer case is in 4L.

Just a thought, seems logical to me.

-Andrew

KC Cruiser said:
Do you think its possibly my L4 Position Switch that's bunk? I was thinking this because it my CDL Relay isn't kicking in it might be because its not "seeing" the transfer case is in 4L.

Just a thought, seems logical to me.

-Andrew

The fuse is good and the circuit is getting power or the axle locker lights wouldn't flash. Time to get out the FSM and volt meter and run the tests. It could be a bad wiring connection, transmission relay, 4 lo switch or actuator.

These are the same symptoms as I had when my actuator burned up.:eek: Check the wiring harness where it goes over the actuator motor.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=68015

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=59333

I had the same problem in my '94, I suspect it was the contacts in the locker that tell it whether it's locked or not. I accidentally found the wire that forced the actuator to move, after that the CDL worked fine for a few hours. Next day I had to do it again, but now it's been working flawlessly for several months. I suspect the contacts were dirty, and got cleaned by use.

There are several conditions that will cause your problem. You're gonna have to troubleshoot it, meaning try several different tests to locate the problem.

If you haven't guessed, the lockers will do nothing but flash until the CDL light (and ABS light) comes on.

-Spike

I had a similar problem with mine.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=48383

My first recommendation would be to get the appropriate CDL switch installed (there are 2 versions depending on year). They can be sourced from either Slee or CDan-the-man. This will make troubleshooting much easier.

My first problem was the transfer case indicator switch. Troubleshooting information can be found here:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_centerdiff.htm

After replacing the switch, my CDL still wouldn't lock. I tried endless-figure-eights with no change.

In talking with CDan, he mentioned to just lock and unlock it regularly, as they can get "stuck" from PO non-use. I started "locking" and "unlocking" at signals and in parking lots.

After a day or so, it suddenly locked -- at the worst moment: I was turning into a parking space... almost took out the car in the space next to me! :doh:

KC Cruiser said:
Did you ever hear your CDL relay (behind the LH kick panel) ever make a click while you were having the CDL problems? My biggest worry is the relay is toast because I hear no click or anything when shifting into 4L.

-Andrew

Andrew, nope, never heard anything..totally silent.

Mine was the same, nothing from the relay.

-Spike

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'm gonna rig up my Hazard switch tonight as a temporary CDL switch to see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to start making decisions on the fix from there.

Go Chiefs, LJ is a badass.:grinpimp:

Well, wrenched on the Cruiser a little tonight, with the help of my brother-in-law (logcruiser).

Through the use of his CDL switch we got the CDL to lock but discovered the L4 Indicator Switch and the CDL Indicator Switch were both unresponsive.

My brother-in-law got the switches working again by "exercising" them vigorously (read: pounded the crap out of them against a table 10-20 times) and they both came alive.

Now all three locker actuators are working, and I know the CDL is locking. Now I just gotta test the FR/RR lockers out tomorrow.

This rocks, thanks for all the help everyone, this board rules.

EDIT: All lockers engaged the next day, and are still engaging today (07-13-2006)

:cheers:

-Andrew

Last edited:
Table pounding is de rigeur for getting Cruisers to wake up. Good work.

DougM

Center Diff Lock will not light up when turning the key in the ignition, but ABS does. Neither light up when i shift the transfer into L, so consequently the front & rear lockers only flash. The Neutral Position light will turn on if the tranny is in Park & the transfer is in N. I don't have a CDL button, so should i just keep shifting the transfer in and out of H/N/L while stopped? Would driving in L help the CDL engage?
I plan on pulling the CDL switch to test it in the near future. Should i test the L4 Position switch as well, or should it matter?

Center Diff Lock will not light up when turning the key in the ignition, but ABS does. Neither light up when i shift the transfer into L, so consequently the front & rear lockers only flash. The Neutral Position light will turn on if the tranny is in Park & the transfer is in N. I don't have a CDL button, so should i just keep shifting the transfer in and out of H/N/L while stopped? Would driving in L help the CDL engage?
I plan on pulling the CDL switch to test it in the near future. Should i test the L4 Position switch as well, or should it matter?

IIRC the CDL icon does NOT light up at start but ABS does (doing it's check). I remember posting up a pic and note on this last year.

As for the CDL not working. My suggestion is to find a nice dirt road/parking lot/whatever and shift that bad boy back and forth a bunch of times. Also drive forward and back in L...Maybe even do some tight figure 8s. Keep doing it until you've had enough.

I've read quite a few posts where folks have had success. Some said it took many, many, many shifts from H to L before they were successful as getting the CDL icon to light up. IIRC we're talking 30+ cycles of H to L. Once you do get the CDL working, make a point to exercise it every so often.

Good luck! :cheers:

Switch

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the all the indicating switches (4L indicating switch, difflock indicating switch, Front and rear indicating switches) Replaced them and it all works.

Alex

Lockdown!

I spent 15 min driving around with the T-case in L yesterday in a gravel lot. I shifted in & out of L, driving forwards & reverse and turning until I heard a relay click in the dash each time I shifted into L on the T-case. I could tell by the tracks I was leaving in the gravel when turning that the CDL was definatly engaged. A few minutes later the ABS & CDL lights both came on. It had been probably over 2 years since I have seen this... it was AWESOME!
I then turned on the Rear Diff Lock which went solid almost instantly. Drove a few more yards and turned on the Front Diff Lock which turned solid just the same. Finally, full lockdown achieved! Creeped around the lot for a couple more minutes and then unlocked everything and shifted back to H. I will definatly do this once every month to keep everything loose.

Thanks for the help all!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom