99' Unlocked 1st Trail Riding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'99 Unlocked 1st Trail Adventure

I went out to Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer , Texas. My 99 is completely stock.
It was my first experience riding around on trails.
I have to say that I had a blast taking the 100 up trails that were seriously pushing my comfort level. On a couple of them I had to fold the mirrors in to pass between the trees.
My running boards were getting beat to hell but I want to replace them anyway :).
I learned about how to clear the rear diff on obstacles, and how lockers would have made some parts much easier, but I the think ground clearance would be the single best improvement.
Some guys had surprised looks when I drove by on the trail, they probaby thought I missed the turn the mall.
Here are a couple of pics. I know these might seem lame to you more hardcore dudes, but its a start.
Now I can directly see how each upgrade can increase the "capability" of the truck but being out there gave me a whole new respect for the truck, and confidence in what it can do.
I wear the dirt as a badge of honor.

I've eclipsed 99% of all cruisers, mall cruisers that is :D
P1010039-1.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG
P1010033.JPG

Last edited:
I think it is great to wheel your rig when it is stock. Helps you to understand the improvements better.

Running boards do suck. I was lucky to find a vehicle that didn't have running boards.

That is my favorite color of course;)

I'm glad you had a good trip:)

beautiful rig and nice pictures,
hey man you gotta start somewhere.... and for some of us like me we'd rather keep to the fun damage free trails, instead of the very rough ones :D, but to each hos own.

keep up the pictures

Tommy

Looks great! Nice pix. :cheers:

A couple more...
IMG_2542.JPG
P1010026.JPG
IMG_2556.JPG

wheel stuffage
IMG_2548.JPG

stewbo said:
Some guys had surprised looks when I drove by on the trail, they probaby thought I missed the turn the mall.
:D

I got those looks too on a local trail that is fairly aggressive in one or two spots. Two MX'rs were coming down one of these rough, technical, sections...when they saw me and my bud in the LC they just stopped with jaws literally wide open and watched me crawl right up, over and through the section. Gotta love it!:)

Looks like good fun! Wheeling your vehicle in stock form before you do mods is by far the best thing to do. I've always done it with my track cars too. It makes the mods so much more appreciable.

Make sure you get signed up for the ICBM event that gets put on. I missed out on it because I bought my 100 just before I moved back to SC from TX. Looks like it is always a great event though.

thats a nice ride man. If I owned it I couldnt bring myself to wheel it, but big ups..

I got that same dumb look from a group of Jeepers with these totally built rigs. They were running these easy and medium trails with their double locked rigs sporting 35's and 37's:rolleyes:

And they are wondering how I did the same trails in my LC with stock suspension and 33's. Uh, because your rigs are totally overbuilt for these trails?

OMG, look out, a curb!

Great pictures. Glad to see you're going for it in your LC.

It's amazing where a stock 100 will go. I've taken my 98 all over the Mojave and Death Valley in stock condition. No problems except for a few new creases and dents in the running boards. Below is a picture of my cruiser heading down from Lookout City above Pannamint Valley. I hope my first attepmt at posting a picture works.:eek:

Also, I agree about how much you appreciate latter improvements. I now have it lifted, changed the front bumper and installed the sliders. I still go slow and take my time but the confidence level is way up. Especially when you know that grinding noise you hear is a slider doing its job and not something else!!
lookout city 4.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments.
:cheers:

Great pics man!

I remember the days when I first got my runner and I promptly went out and did a few flex shots. I can't wait to do it to my next yota...

Going on a trail with a lot of rocks without sliders is just plain crazy if you ask me. Personally I think they should be the second mod after tires. Nobody wants a beat up truck. Espcially a 100!

Glad you had fun, and making fun of jeepers is always a blast :D Happy modding!

Going on the trip has helped my prioritize my mod path.
First tires, then sliders.
My wife doesn't want me to remove the steps, without replacing them with something, i.e the sliders.

Stewbo, sounds like you're on the right path regarding next mods to your cruiser. If I were doing it again I would have gone with bigger tires first and sliders 2nd too.

I repaced my stock tires with Revos (stock size), added the OME lift, then the ARB front bumper and finally the Slee sliders. I should have gone with 33" tires first (hadn't found this forum yet). Extra clearance with no downside. If they had been available I would have slapped on the sliders next. They are awesome, definetly built for the purpose. Go with Slee's slider steps, they look great and my wife has no problem getting in or out. The sliders add some weight to your vehicle, but it is down low and adds an even more solid feeling to the LC.

After that, wheel it for a while and you will know what to do next. Man this modification stuff is addicting. I'm now debating between a new roofrack like Landpimp' or rear bumber like Schott"s. Hmm, I'm sure theres more.....

You got a pic of the way your cruiser is configured now?

Yeah I haven't even modded mine and it feels addicting. Doing the research , gathering the knowledge, narrowing the choices, on and on...

-Stewart

Just a couple of driveway shots, nothing exciting. Thought you might like a close up of the step-sliders. Landpimp did a great pictorial on these in an earlier thread.
LC 1.jpg
LC 2.jpg
LC 3.jpg

calamaridog said:
3rd Cruiser,

How do you like the step?

I can't say enough about the quality and praticality of the steps. Prior to the purchase I had a tough time deceiding between the Sliders or these Step/sliders. Acess to the vehicle for other family members was the deciding factor, so I went with the Step/sliders. 'm glad I did.

The step works great and has a rough sandpaper like finish which is nice in wet weather. They are seriously heavy duty underneath. I'm not sure how much they weigh but it took two of us to move each one around and for the install. They use u bolts that attach to the frame and they don't move at all. Serious armor! They improve ground clearance somewhat over the stock running boards too.

Went out to Redrock Canyon State Park a couple of weeks ago and took the Last Chance Canyon Trail. As a result of the summer thunderstorms there were a number of boulder and rock beds to negotiate. The sliders really did the job. Some good sized scratches in the underside powder coat but nothing a rattle can couldn't handle when I got home. These have been a great addition to my cruiser.

One last thing. You've got to love Christo's products. Well designed, instructions are always easy to follow and the service is the best. Thanks guys at Slee's. :cheers:

thats a nice 100 "3rd cruiser"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom